New to Forum - Looking for IMS/Clutch Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Rreemo
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum - Looking for IMS/Clutch Advice

Hello Fellows,
I've been reading on this forum (as well as a few others) for about the past year since I bought my 996 but just never registered and posted anything...I think that probably classifies me as a lurker!

Nevertheless, I have an 02' C2 that has had the original clutch/IMS up until last weekend/85K miles. I've known it was on it's way out feeling the heavier/higher release pedal for the past month or so, but it's not a daily driver...I did push it a little too hard this past weekend and finished off the clutch. However it's kind of bitter/sweet for me b/c I've been worrying about the IMS for a while now anyway...so this is just going to force me to address it.

Although never on Porsches, I used to be an L1 dealership mechanic by trade (now in the software industry), have also spent quite a bit of time racing, and built many engines (Primarily American V8's), Manual and Auto Trans, a lot of suspension work, and I even do some fabricaiton work as well...I spend most of my hobby time restoring cars from the American muscle and classic truck era. All this to say...I have a pretty well equipped shop to work in, including a lift....so I will be taking this project on myself. (My old man is a TV repair man with an awesome set of tools....I can fix it! )

I've searched and read a lot of threads (props to Shark Attack on his very imformative write-up), and from what I've learned I think I know about what all I'll be needing, but this is where I'd like to hear more from you guys....

- Clutch Kit (Disk, Plate, and Bearing)
- New Flywheel (opinions seems to be about 50/50 on going with stock vs LWFW, at this point I'm thinking to play it safe and just go stock, though).
- IMS Retro Fit (Most likely Flat-6, but I do see some others mentioned)
- RMS
- AOS (I've had a few white-smokey start-ups on occasion)

I wanted to see if you guys know of any good value kits available out there and/or if you can make recommendations where to buy most of this stuff? Someone mentioned an IMS/Clutch kit from Pelican Parts, but I don't see anything specific on their website...other than the stuff listed separately.

should probably add that my car isn't a track car, and it isn't driven daily either. Usually take it out on the weekends, and drive it to work once or twice a week...but I do live outside of the city limits, so it's several miles anytime I go anywhere away from home.

Since I'm a newbie here is a picture as well.....

Lapis Blue with 18" Fikse Mach-V's (285's on the rear), H&R Springs, and I swapped the front bumper cover for the C4S/Turbo style (not trying to be a poser, I just like the blunted nose profile a lot more). The tint looks a little darker in the pic than it does in-person, but it's legal (35% on the front two and 20% on the rear three)....I live about 5 miles from the sun (North Texas), so tint is almost mandatory around here in the summer time.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:30 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Nice car. I thought you replace with new flywheel and clutch bolts when installing a new clutch and flywheel.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Rreemo
6th Gear

Yes, I did have the flywheel bolts on my list (forgot to add), but I skipped the pressure plate bolts...I'll need those too.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:25 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Water pump? Belts etc...
Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did mine I got the clutch kit from vertex,their brand was a sachs pressure plate and throwout bearing with a raybestos disc. I got the bearing,tool kit and rms from LN Engineering. The aos came from parts geek,was the cheapest I could find and came in Porsche packaging. I don't remember the prices exactly but did post them at some point when I did my bearing
Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ951
Water pump? Belts etc...
No benefit to labor savings when doing a clutch job.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome Rreemo, nice looking Porsche and great looking wheels.

Hey Chao, time to update your avatar...
Old 04-10-2012, 05:24 PM
jfintexas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Rheemo. I've seen you on the Maverick group as well. We'll have to meet up one day.

I just had my IMS/Clutch Kit done. Used the LN Eng bearing and stock OEM everything else. Also had the RMS done but my AOS was clean so didn't mess with it. I do have an 04 with 43K, though. To Chsu74's point, the labor does not get you anything since you are in there for the clutch anyway. Had mine all done at RAC in Carrollton. They also did the oil change this round so maybe add oil and filter to your list.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:16 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barn996
Hey Chao, time to update your avatar...
Ha Ha! I miss my old aero Steve... I will update my avatar once I get a good pic of the 993TT. When are you showing off the new shoes you just got your bad boy....
Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Rreemo
6th Gear

Originally Posted by NZ951
Water pump? Belts etc...
Originally Posted by chsu74
I've also got records from those being done not too terribly long before I bought it.

Originally Posted by Ericginpa
When I did mine I got the clutch kit from vertex,their brand was a sachs pressure plate and throwout bearing with a raybestos disc. I got the bearing,tool kit and rms from LN Engineering. The aos came from parts geek,was the cheapest I could find and came in Porsche packaging. I don't remember the prices exactly but did post them at some point when I did my bearing
Thanks for the tips - I'll take a look at Vertex and parts geek, I was planning to go back with a Sachs clutch kit too. Is there any difference buying the IMS Retro from LNE or from Flat-6 Innovations? I emailed Jake this morning, got a pretty canned looking response about a clinic in April, and he did say that he would have someone contact me back about the parts I was needing. I don't think I'll need or be in a position to travel for a class on this...looks pretty straight forward with the right tools....but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have the piece of mind for good support going into it.

Originally Posted by Barn996
Welcome Rreemo, nice looking Porsche and great looking wheels.
Thanks Barn!

Originally Posted by jfintexas
Welcome Rheemo. I've seen you on the Maverick group as well. We'll have to meet up one day.

I just had my IMS/Clutch Kit done. Used the LN Eng bearing and stock OEM everything else. Also had the RMS done but my AOS was clean so didn't mess with it. I do have an 04 with 43K, though. To Chsu74's point, the labor does not get you anything since you are in there for the clutch anyway. Had mine all done at RAC in Carrollton. They also did the oil change this round so maybe add oil and filter to your list.
Thanks Jfin! I have been lurking on Maverick recently. Unfortunatley I attended an event with some friends last Saturday and got the clutch a little too hot...thing won't even hardly move under it's own power now...had to trailer it home. ...but I knew it was getting close, so no harm/no foul I suppose. Just gave me an excuse to take care of some stuff that I know needs my attention anyway.

Small world - my car had the PPI done over at RAC.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

welcome Rreemo. Sharp car; tint, wheels and stance. nothing wrong with changing the plain looking 996 front bumper to the C4S/Turbo bumper; seems you have your work cut out for getting the car back on the road.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

"the IMS Retro from LNE or from Flat-6 Innovations?"
They are the same kit

The Pelican kit uses the stock bearing supplier.

There is also a Casper Labs kit. See this thread:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...c-ims-bearing/
Old 04-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Rreemo
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 2K3TTMIA
welcome Rreemo. Sharp car; tint, wheels and stance. nothing wrong with changing the plain looking 996 front bumper to the C4S/Turbo bumper; seems you have your work cut out for getting the car back on the road.
Thanks 2K3TT - Happy to be here!

I'm not really too intimidated by it honestly...I'm planning that we'll have it ready to roar again over a weekend soon. We put a 496ci Ford Cammer together about a year ago and it's holding out fine at over 680hp....so I'm hopeful (optimistic) this won't be really any more complicated than that thing was (6' timing chain)

I'll be sure to take a lot of pics and do a write up for you guys as I go through it as well.

Originally Posted by fpb111
"the IMS Retro from LNE or from Flat-6 Innovations?"
They are the same kit

The Pelican kit uses the stock bearing supplier.

There is also a Casper Labs kit. See this thread:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...c-ims-bearing/
Another thank you for the info. I had come across the Casper Labs thread, but seems there is so little to back them....probably worth the extra ~$300 for the added POM. I knew that the LNE and F6I were esstentially one-in-the-same as far as the parts go, really more-so what I was asking was if you really get better support going through F6I instead of directly through LNE?

Again - thanks much for the support!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:12 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Its just another maintenance item in line with the rest of the maintenance he is doing, thought thats what he was looking to discuss.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ha Ha! I miss my old aero Steve... I will update my avatar once I get a good pic of the 993TT. When are you showing off the new shoes you just got your bad boy....
Tires may land today Chao, so with luck I'll be posting pics of tires and wheels soon.

Quick Reply: New to Forum - Looking for IMS/Clutch Advice