Sponsored by:

Swallowed the bird to catch the spider, to catch the fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:09 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Swallowed the bird to catch the spider, to catch the fly

So I started what I thought would be a quick horn fix yesterday, replacing the fuse, but it just blows again (the fuse). From a bit of research it sounds like the retaining frame in the steering wheel needs replacement. To do so, one should disconnect the battery to avoid any air bag mishaps. Then I'll need the radio code. I don't have it. So I'll need to pull the PCM to get the serials so I can get the code from the dealer. To pull the PCM, I'll need the Becker "keys". Whew!

So, anyone in the East Bay have a pair of keys I can use for about 2 minutes? Would love to swing buy and grab the code and move on. I'm in Benicia, but I can meet you.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

To help your search, the radio removal keys are not Porsche specific. Most VW/Audi/Porsche models used the same keys from about 1998 onward.

Also, you can make your own out of a couple old credit cards or piece of sheet aluminum.

Pro tip: Skip the little "notch" at the end on two of the keys if you make your own, it makes it harder to remove them from the radio when you're done, but you need two of them to help pull the radio out.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:30 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The P dealer should be able to give you the code if you just supply the car's vin and proof of ownership.

GL

Phil
Old 04-04-2012, 03:34 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Radio code FAQ
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...adio-code-faq/

Radio code request
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...-request-here/

"How to get your radio serial number?
CR-220/CDR-220:
Hold down the TP button for at least 10 seconds after you turn the radio on. "Becker 1" will be displayed. Rotate the right **** (slowly) and it will display the Becker model number. Then rotate it again and the serial number should be displayed on the radio.
Or, if the radio is out of the car the then the serial number is on the label.

CR-210:
Press tone, then 8 and 0 simultaneously. "Becker" appears. Press station up arrow on right. "PR-VERS" appears. Press one of numbered buttons below display, directly below the LCD arrowheads (try a few). The model number will appear. Press station up arrow on right. "SERIAL N" will appear. Press the numbered button again. The serial number will appear.
Or, if the radio is out of the car the then the serial number is on the label.

CDR-23 (or later):
These radios do not have a security code - that is, not that the user enters.
These radios are security tested on the MOST (fiber optic bus) system to see if they are the "programmed" radio. The radios are programmed and recognized by the car’s DME and can only be replaced by a shop with a PST2 or PIWIS. These radios will not request a code when battery power is disconnected.

Traffic Pro:
Select the Service Menu, press NAV and multifunction key 10 simultaneously in radio mode. Use multifunction keys Nxt and Prv or turn the right control **** to select the individual items.
You can move through the following items:
- Model-No.
- Serial-No. <-- this is what we need
- Changer Reset
- GAL
- Radio Software
- Radio Bolo
- Navi Rom
- Navi Flash
- RTC Value
To quit the service menu, press END.

Can you give me a code for my PCM?
These units are manufactured jointly by Siemens and Becker, and the only place where you can get the codes required is from the dealer/OPC. The PCM’s require two codes, the ICS/Siemens code and a Becker code. The ICS is the first code requested.
Sorry, the only place you can get a PCM code is from a dealer/OPC.
"
Old 04-04-2012, 03:35 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Thanks, everyone. This is a PCM unit, so it has to come out to get serials. I'll try RollingArt's suggestion and hopefully get a quick fix.

thanks!
Old 04-04-2012, 03:39 PM
jfintexas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called the dealer and gave them VIN and they gave me the code. Perhaps that ability did not exist for PCM I? I have PCM II.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

I took Jamie's suggestion, but the dealer said they needed the serial as well. Never even asked if was a PCM, or whatever. He actually told me how to get the serial, but then I told him it was a PCM and he said, hop, gotta have the serial. I guess I need to pull it.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

The dealer service rep had one more suggestion. Check the options tag under the hood to see if the guys at the factory hand wrote the number there. Sure enough, the code is there. So, guess I don't need to pull it, but I'll still order some keys for future needs.

Quick Reply: Swallowed the bird to catch the spider, to catch the fly