Sponsored by:

gas mileage... seriously?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:28 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cuttinsod
don't worry too much about it, but, I use mine as a DD, and typically average 23-24mpg driving it like a "normal"car in mixed city/hwy driving...have gotten up to 28mpg cruising on the hwy....when having fun, and driving it aggressively that drops to the teens....
You have the same results as me. I really do not worry about the MPG on it.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:15 PM
LRBill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pac996
Without cussing.........I think a lot of the good mileage numbers are guys running NON ethanol gasoline.
My whole ocean locked islands is forced by law to use the meth addicts ethanol.

What I'd like to know is if there is anybody using the ethanol getting good gas mileage.
The highest octane here is 92 and a local report said the 92 here is lower than 92. I believe this since my mileage is lousy. There is also the factor of a hwy mile markers actual mile is .8 mile on my odometer. So I should actually add 20% to the miles before dividing it by the gallons pumped.

All gas in Chicago contains ethanol. Over 90% of it outside of Chicago contains ethanol.
All of my mileage numbers are based on ethanol blended gas.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:39 PM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

nope....all gas in CT is 10% ethanol...

BTW....this is one of the things I love about this car.....run it to redline all day at the track, and get econobox mileage on the way home.....
Old 04-05-2012, 02:19 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the last 115 miles computer said 21 mpg. No highway back roads and city driving.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:51 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I daily drive 74 km per day, an almost 50:50 split of city and highway.

I drive on the hard side of average - similar to the OP's description of his own style.

consistently average for the car is 13.3 litres/100km = 17.7 mp(US)g
Old 04-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Without cussing.........I think a lot of the good mileage numbers are guys running NON ethanol gasoline.
My whole ocean locked islands is forced by law to use the meth addicts ethanol.

What I'd like to know is if there is anybody using the ethanol getting good gas mileage.
The highest octane here is 92 and a local report said the 92 here is lower than 92. I believe this since my mileage is lousy. There is also the factor of a hwy mile markers actual mile is .8 mile on my odometer. So I should actually add 20% to the miles before dividing it by the gallons pumped.
All I can buy is 91 octane with ethanol in it and my 02 Boxster gets (just this last tank) 24.3mpg in mixed (though mostly highway) driving.

My 03 Turbo gets around just on either side 20mpg in similar driving. Whether the mpg is 19.something or 20.something depends upon how mpg aware I drive.

On the highway/open road like on a long road trip the Boxster's mpg will climb to 27 or 28mpg while the Turbo's mpg can climb -- if I'm very very good -- to around 25mpg or 26mpg. In both cases the car's speed average approaches the posted max. limit for the highway so the car's averaging 75mph or thereabouts.

I do not have an instantaneous mpg readout in either car but in an 06 GTO (6.0l 400hp (larger engine but similar output as my 03 Turbo) which had this feature under hard acceleration the mpg number could drop to 5mpg. OTOH in 6th gear at around 1500 rpms the mpg could climb to 30+mpg.

(In the Turbo if I really give the engine the whip the gas gage needle sinks as I watch it. That engine can inhale some gasoline.)

If the CEL is not on and there are no other signs of any engine problems I'd say your driving is the cause for the lower gas mileage. It doesn't take much idling, in town driving with stop/go driving, or hard acceleration or even climbing grades to see the fuel consumption go up. And once up then one has to drive even more conservatively to compensate and that's often hard to do.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 PM
SubzeroX
Racer

yea no CEL light, no engine problems that i'm aware of. thanks for the replies... now reply to my radio needs please! haha
Old 04-06-2012, 12:35 AM
fivepointnine
Instructor

very hard to find non-ethanol fuel anywhere! I think there is a total of 3 stations in the whole state of washington that sell it, it was a little easier when I lived in Georgia, I noticed about a 15% difference in mileage with non-ethanol fuel
Old 04-06-2012, 01:22 AM
One Nut
Instructor

Clean maf
Fuel injection cleaner
O2 sensors
Air cleaner
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2012, 04:15 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yah thanks guys. I've been slacking only using chevron gas to figure I was cleaning the injectors. Of course it is a new engine.....hmmmmm. Yah rings need breaking in I guess.

The MAF is going to get sprayed down soon I guess. Where's the O2 sensors?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:39 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

My rule of thumb: if you're not in the teens, you're not driving it hard enough like it should be.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 AM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
My rule of thumb: if you're not in the teens, you're not driving it hard enough like it should be.
+1... i get about 18.4 50/50 high way and rather annoying city driving.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

I do quite a bit of city driving, and usually stay in the 2-4k RPM range, and average around 17.5-18 MPG. On the highway, I'm around 25ish. She's a '99 with 80k miles on her. Obviously, only premium, and we have the 10% ethanol mix here as well.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

In all honesty, city driving is so varied with so many different variables. So just because you are getting low mileage doesn't necessarily mean you need to panic.

A more consistent data point would be for example traveling on the highway with your cruise control set to 70 for a decent stretch and see where you net out. If you're nowhere near the mid 20's at least, something is definitely wrong.(not to account for hills/mountain areas)
Old 04-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Yah thanks guys. I've been slacking only using chevron gas to figure I was cleaning the injectors. Of course it is a new engine.....hmmmmm. Yah rings need breaking in I guess.

The MAF is going to get sprayed down soon I guess. Where's the O2 sensors?
Chevron gasoline is a good gasoline. There are other brands equally as good.

Given regular usage of a quality brand of gasoline the fuel system -- from tank to injectors -- and the intake/engine combustion chambers from the valves thorough the chambers and the O2 sensors and even the converters -- should be free of any gruesome deposits.

If a sub-par grade of gasoline was used for a while before you switched to Chevon, there can be build up that just Chevron gasoline (with 'Techron') alone can't remove.

If this is suspected to be the case, a bottle or two of Techron can be used to remove this build up. Then from this point on regular use of Chevron (or a comparable gasoline) can keep the deposit build up down.

Use Techron according to instructions and I like to arrange the use of this so after the last tank is down to say a quarter of a tank or less remaining fuel, change the oil/filter.

Cleaning the MAF... sigh.

I have driven tens of thousands of miles and have cleaned the MAF in my Boxster just 2 times. Once when I suspected it being dirty (or something) and being the cause of engine symptoms that proved to be a bad AOS.

I cleaned the MAF over a white paper towel. There no signs of any dirt. And this was after nearly 80K miles of being in the intake. Stock air intake system with properly spaced out air filter changes.

The other time when I suspected again the MAF might be 'dirty' but this time the cause of the problem (after I replaced the MAF) to be a leaking oil filler tube cap). But again at this cleaning the MAF was not dirty.

As for the O2 sensors, leave them alone unless error codes point to one or more bad ones then replace the bad ones and drive on.

Oh, I have put on nearly 80K miles on my Turbo and I can't even tell you where the MAF is, let alone have I bothered to clean it.

Be careful you don't overreact to what appears to be gasoline consumption that is well within an acceptable range, though a bit higher than you might like.

Gas consumption is like oil consumption. Engines vary a bit in how much gas they consume, how much oil they consume. Also, drivers contribute to this variability too.

Someone always gets better fuel consumption under the 'same driving conditions' and someone will always report less oil consumed 'under the same driving conditions'.

They are of course I'm sure passing on accurate info. But this doesn't mean your car's junk or even needs work because its numbers are a bit different.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: gas mileage... seriously?