Sponsored by:

Ticking Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:12 PM
mse
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ticking Sound?

I've gotten into the car a few times in the past couple of weeks to hear a ticking sound coming from the dash - sounds like a fan hitting something. The car was not running at the time and the radio was off. In most cases, the car had been off for sometime and when I touched the dash near the radio, the ticking stopped.

Yesterday, I got into the car and heard the ticking again. I touched the radio and the ticking stopped. I started the car and turned on the radio. The display said CD STOP. After playing around with the radio for a couple of seconds it appears that the CD STOP was related to the CD overheating.

This was odd since I hadn't been using the CD when I drove the car that day. Regardless, I would expect that the radio would have cooled off in the two hours that the car was shut down.

I ran a search and saw that this had come up once before and it was suggested that it might be caused by a warpped CD. That would make sense to me if the radio was on and the CD was running. Since the radio was off, it seems like there is something else amiss here.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? How did you eventually get it fixed? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have any enemies...
Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first fix would be a technical tap (bang the radio).
I would think something has the CD section thinking there is a CD in the player. Also possibly there is normally a line to radios for giving power when they are off to light panels and keep memory. Possibly this line is feeding more than intended or shorting internally. Then for guys with kids........anything extra in there. I'd think if the player does allow inserting or ejection of CD's when the system is off then something foreign hanging around in the slot would drive the player nuts keeping it working when off.

Oh yah, good luck.

Another addition.....maybe try cycling a CD in and out of the player to see if it will clear anything possibly jammed in there setting off the system. Then of it gets stuck you get to get a new radio . I just run off a USB or iPod for music other than radio.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:52 PM
mse
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No enemies that I know of...but I do feel like that radio is a ticking bomb. Just waiting for it to finally fail - just don't want to take out the car when it does!

There was a CD in the radio at the time. I ejected it and reinserted it and it played just fine. No ticking or messages about overheating. The CD plays fine and there is no ticking when it is playing, which tells me that the CD isn't warped or there is some other foreign obstruction in there. I've been having issues with this radio - CDR 23 - and it sounds like I will need to chalk this up to one more issue closer to the final replacement. I'll try pulling the CDs out from now on and see if that rectifies the problem.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate the help.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:19 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The DVD drive on the nav system in my truck went bad and made a similar noise. That doesn't explain the ticking when the car is off, unless the cd player has gone haywire and continues to spin after the car is shut down.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:37 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Start pulling fuses...
Old 04-02-2012, 07:07 PM
flybye_
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking

If you were closer I'd run my Work Explosive K-9 around the car. He's handy for things that may go boom.

Quick Reply: Ticking Sound?