Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:56 PM
psamead
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Lights

After waking my 2003 996 C2 from a long winter nap I found that the light which illuminates the needle on the oil pressure gauge was not working. All of the other lights work fine as do all of the instruments. It’s only a problem at night as I can’t see the needle even though all the numbers are lit.

I pulled the instrument cluster out, broke it down and removed the oil pressure gauge but could not figure out how to disassemble the gauge in order to access the bulb. I pulled and pried with as much force as I dare exercise to no avail. I searched for a replacement gauge without any luck. A new instrument cluster will cost at least $2,500 which doesn’t make sense for a bulb that probably is less than $1. I successfully put it all back together and everything functioned normally except for the needle light.

Does anyone know how to pull the gauge apart in order to access the bulb that illuminates the needle? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry, I know how this works on the early clusters, but haven't seen much info on the later clusters.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 PM
psamead
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Here’s the follow up to this issue:

I disassembled the instrument cluster again to take photos and have another go at getting the oil pressure gauge apart. This time I was able to separate the circuit board enough to see that under the clear plastic stem of the needle is a small LED chip. This part costs about 50 cents at an electronic supply. I still could not totally separate the circuit board from the gauge as the needle is glued or pinned permanently to the stem. Since the gauge still functions (sans needle light), I didn’t want to apply too much force and destroy it. I took photos (attached) and buttoned everything back up. The LED still will not illuminate the needle but thankfully everything else still works.

I tried to locate the part on-line without any luck so I sent an email to VDO in Germany inquiring about a replacement for the entire gauge. They replied that this is a Porsche specific part and that I would need to get the part from Porsche. An inquiry to Suncoast gets the reply that the part costs $2,500 which is obviously for the entire cluster. I responded to Suncoast that I didn’t need to replace all of my perfectly good gauges only the oil pressure gauge with the failed LED. The only response I got from them was another email with a link to purchase the entire instrument cluster.

There’s no way I will pay $2,500 to replace a broken part which costs 50 cents. That’s like having to replace your entire engine because you can’t buy individual spark plugs. The only other option I have is to pick up a used instrument cluster on Ebay for a few hundred dollars. Once I have a replacement gauge in hand I can then go to town on my gauge with the bum LED and hopefully gain access allowing me to replace the LED chip. If I’m successful then I can resell the used cluster and hopefully get my money back.

This experience has taught me that the Porsche design is not about striving for engineering perfection but maximizing profits.
Attached Images     
Old 04-11-2012, 12:31 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We do live in a disposable world don't we. Pretty sad sometimes...
Old 08-06-2015, 03:55 AM
tophebboy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
I'm French and new to this forum. I have exactly the same problem on my 2003 996 4S and I digged a little and found out that you have 2 leds for each cluster.
Check on this page:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...or-change.html
I'm not sure I could do that but I'll try to find somebody around my place who can...
Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Lights