Sponsored by:

Preventative-DIY to do list

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 PM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Preventative-DIY to do list

So I have had my car about a month, and it has been fully serviced, new tires ect and ready to go.
After reading a few posts I was starting to make a list of jobs/DIY to undertake on the car to keep it in good fettle.

So far my plan is:
1. Remove the bumper and clean out the condensers & check for damage
2. Steam clean the underside/engine
3. Full Clay & wax of the exterior
4. Leatherique the interior this summer
5. Paint & rebuild the calipers (Next winter)

Does seem a very exhaustive list, what would you add?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:06 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Good idea.
2. I wouldn't do it.
3. Post some pics!
4. I like to use meguiars leather care, regularly.
5. A job best done when you remove the calipers.

I would add #6: drive the snot out of the car
Old 03-27-2012, 01:35 PM
feds
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For cabrio owners it probably would be good to check the rain ducts/drains.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,515 Likes on 834 Posts

If you have a sunroof, open it up all the way and give that area a good cleaning. That area is often overlooked when detailing and tends to get grimey on cars, especially in areas with a lot of rain.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

#1 is a great DIY, and be sure to take pics of the debris that you find. Amazing how much there is.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you get a full alignment when you got the new tires?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Very easy and cheap job. New surpentine belt, Air filter change if they didnt do it during its service. Cabin filter change under the hood passenger side at windscreen. Look for a hood release cable when you have the front off. Cut a slit in the passenger side air scoop and thread the loop end out through the slit next to the temp sensor.. That way you can open the hood from out side the car with no problems. saves having to dig around inside the wheel well with a coat hanger etc. Thats what I did and it works great. Have fun. BTW there is a great youtube video on how to clean the rads of a 1999.. 996

BTW when you have the drive belt off you can check the water pump free play. In other words spin the pulleys and listen for sounds. If you ever have to change the water pump then there are great vids on Youtube for that as well. A nice car to work on in my estimation.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Why are you planning #5? Have you had a braking issue? Don't fix what isn't broken...
Old 03-28-2012, 11:03 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I want to paint the calipers red, so will take them off, clean and paint them. I will probably re-do the seals as well as the brake dont feel that great even after a flush
Old 03-28-2012, 11:16 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rossclifford
I want to paint the calipers red, so will take them off, clean and paint them. I will probably re-do the seals as well as the brake dont feel that great even after a flush
That could be the rubber brake lines getting old. You might try braided stailness brake lines before rebuilding your calipers. It's a cheap and easy upgrade, that you would probably want to do regardless.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

You might consider a complete brake fluid change. Old fluid I believe can effect the brake pressure to the negative. When you think you have finished bleeding them. Take the car out on a quiet road, up to speed and jump on the brakes to kick in the anti locking part of the sytem. Do that a couple of times then go back and bleed them again. Brake fluid is cheap. I think you will find that your brakes will be top notch then. If not then check on the pads and rotors. 911 cars are claimed to be able to stop on a dime. Look into those brakes as a priority DIY job. A fast engine might get you out of trouble but good brakes can save a life.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Depending on the mileage, you might also think about cleaning your gas pedal - I had to do that shortly after taking ownership.

If you have a Durametric, you can take base-line reading (save a log file), and that way you have something to compare to to in the future.

Participating in driver's ed (or any PCA event) is a good tune-up for the driver.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:06 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I just did the bumper removal/radiator cleanout DIY, based on that video. The video is terrific, but I would like to add one small piece of information that can save some frustration.

In the video, he explains how the second screw (behind the wheel well cover) can't be seen and you have to feel for it. This is true, but it's helpful to know that the bottom of the screw is visible, sticking up through the side marker opening.

I fumbled around for a few minutes trying to find the hidden screw, until I realized it was right there in front of me. You might want to put some lotion on the back of your hands before you do this. Mine are a bit raw today from scraping on the rigid plastic covers.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:01 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by wyovino
I just did the bumper removal/radiator cleanout DIY, based on that video. The video is terrific, but I would like to add one small piece of information that can save some frustration.

In the video, he explains how the second screw (behind the wheel well cover) can't be seen and you have to feel for it. This is true, but it's helpful to know that the bottom of the screw is visible, sticking up through the side marker opening.

I fumbled around for a few minutes trying to find the hidden screw, until I realized it was right there in front of me. You might want to put some lotion on the back of your hands before you do this. Mine are a bit raw today from scraping on the rigid plastic covers.
Did you manage to find the trunk release cable when you had the front off?
Old 03-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe make sure all the drain tubes are functional and in place. There are 2 in the cowl under the windscreen on the same platform the battery sits on. There's rubber gromets then tubes attached leading to the underside of the car. Those drains are draining rain water. There's another drain from the sunroof area. Make sure the engine lid is draining good also. The rear lid is easy to check after washing by lifting the lid and seeing if water runs out of top area when its tilted downwards.

Quick Reply: Preventative-DIY to do list