Ashtray Delete done!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ashtray Delete done!

Since I could not find an aluma-look finished ashtray delete anywhere, I purchased a black one from Eagle Day ($65). Spent the weekend prepping and painting. Easy removal and install. Switches were amazingly easy to remove (I read that they were a bit difficult to get out of the old assembly). Next up, just ordered the bezel frame for my double din unit from Euro Motorsports and a new radio shelf cubby since I hate the one I have now (looks cheap). The bezel frame can stay black or be painted aluma-look or guards red to match the other accents. I am strongly leaning to the guards red. Thoughts?
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Personally I would leave it black. Too many accents and they stop being accents and dominate the color scheme. Black is good, but somehow I would say that...
Old 03-26-2012, 09:13 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Since I could not find an aluma-look finished ashtray delete anywhere, I purchased a black one from Eagle Day ($65). Spent the weekend prepping and painting. Easy removal and install. Switches were amazingly easy to remove (I read that they were a bit difficult to get out of the old assembly). Next up, just ordered the bezel frame for my double din unit from Euro Motorsports and a new radio shelf cubby since I hate the one I have now (looks cheap). The bezel frame can stay black or be painted aluma-look or guards red to match the other accents. I am strongly leaning to the guards red. Thoughts?
Nice interior, I like the red accents Reminds me of what I did to my 928 S4. Very similar
Old 03-27-2012, 12:05 AM
BSonwine
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've admired your red in photos. I think a little more could work. Not alum look. Red or black. Red...
Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Trojan
Advanced

Hey Gonzo,

Looking good! Any reason you didn't paint the ashtray delete red to go with the other accents (other than the shift ****)?

Also, would you mind posting the link for Euro Motorsports? I did a search but only came up with a dealer. Do you know if they sell the bezel for the lower climate control mounting as well?

Cheers,
Karl
Old 03-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Karl...they don't have a working website, just an eBay store www.stores.ebay.com/Euromotorspeed or 727-565-1770 ask for Loi. Was very responsive and shipped my order immediately. I did not see a bezel for the temp control unit. As for the ashtray delete, I am going with less is more on the Guards Red and plan on keeping those accents on the dash only.

Last edited by Gonzo911; 03-27-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 AM
jbsails
8th Gear

Very nice. Would you mind a little more detail on the removal of the switches and then their re-install. I am still into my first week of ownership and this might be my first mod and I would like to get smarter on it. I am a bit daunted when it comes to dealing with the electrical components and switches....
Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Trojan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Karl...they don't have a working website, just an eBay store www.stores.ebay.com/Euromotorspeedor 727-565-1770 ask for Loi. Was very responsive and shipped my order immediately. I did not see a bezel for the temp control unit. As for the ashtray delete, I am going with less is more on the Guards Red and plan on keeping those accents on the dash only.
Excellent, thank you. Was looking at the double din kit, and the bezel is included in it! Cheers!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:00 PM
jfintexas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gonzo, I really like this! I will put this on a near-term mod (along with getting rid of the worthless CD Trays).
Old 03-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbsails
Very nice. Would you mind a little more detail on the removal of the switches and then their re-install. I am still into my first week of ownership and this might be my first mod and I would like to get smarter on it. I am a bit daunted when it comes to dealing with the electrical components and switches....
Very easy:

1) Remove the ashtray. Look into the hole and you will see 2 torx screws at the very bottom. Remove the screws and the rubber anchors and save them. You will need them since the Ashtray Delete does not come with new hardware.

2) Note how the window switches are oriented, or as I did, use tape on each window switch noting both position (1-4) and orientation so you don't have to guess later which way is up/down.

3) Carefully pull up on the old ashtray housing. The wiring for the switches does not have much slack so be careful. There is a clip on the passenger side of the housing so you may need to give that side a little more pressure.

4) There are 4 switch connectors and one wire for the ashtray light. Pull the switch connectors out from the window switches. They come out just like a plug from a wall outlet, but are much tighter. Pull straight out, don't rock back and forth so as not to bend the contacts. Go slow, again so you don't inadvertently snap a wire. The lighting wire connector comes off easily (note that this will not be used in the Ashtray Delete).

5) Once all four of the connectors are off the switches, you can work on popping out the switches. The switches snap into a plastic rectangular housing. Take a small, flathead screwdriver and insert halfway down the longside of the "rectangle" between the switch and the housing. Gently push the flat head toward the switch and that side will pop up. Hold that side so that it doesn't snap back into place, and do the same on the opposite side. It will pop right out. Much easier than I thought it would be.

6) Do the same for the other 3.

7) Snap the switches into the Ashtray Delete making sure they are oriented correctly as noted in step 3. They go in fairly easily as long as you keep equal pressure on the switch and have them aligned properly. You will here an audible click when they are correctly seated in the housing.

8) Push the connector plugs back onto the switches.

9) Snap the Ashtray Delete into the hole making sure the clip on the passenger side is engaged and the holes in the bottom of the Ashtray Delete line up with the holes in the Center Console.

10) Insert the rubber anchors through the holes in the bottom of the Ashtray Delete. Screw the down the Ashtray Delete with the torx screws.

11) Add the rubber tray and you are done.
The following users liked this post:
tniyh98 (07-03-2019)
Old 03-27-2012, 06:26 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

very nice, clean!

Quick Reply: Ashtray Delete done!