Sponsored by:

LED sidelights

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts
Default LED sidelights

Just playing around, didn't cost me much so I'm trying them out. Can go back to the regular bulb type if I don't like them.

Might try the turn signal hack next as they are designed for this - the second set of three LED's lights up and flashes if you want them to work this way.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 PM
trapperdog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how did you do it?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 333 Posts

Are these specifically set up for flashing? The reason I ask is that I did the mod to make my sidemarkers flash, but had read that it wouldn't work with LED's because they are directional.

Is that a different fixture or is the regular clear fixture with an LED appliance?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by wyovino
Are these specifically set up for flashing? The reason I ask is that I did the mod to make my sidemarkers flash, but had read that it wouldn't work with LED's because they are directional.

Is that a different fixture or is the regular clear fixture with an LED appliance?
They are stand alone units - not the usual part retrofitted or adapted. Easy splice and go - 10 mins. I had to play with the fitment, the spring wasn't exact enough. One 7.5amp fuse was expended by accident... (always have spares)

As far as making them flash as turn signals; The key is the relay and how the LED's are wired in series with the front signals. I've got a contact with an LED firm in China and he's pretty sure it can work. (I'm doing my whole basement in LED lighting)

I've got a cross reference list for blubs to LED's and there doesn't seem to be any incandescent that can't be changed out to LED units now. Some units because of the draw do require load resisters such as my taillights. License plate LED's don't need them. Interior lights should be ok as well. It's any light connected with relays and switching/voltage changes is where problem solving comes into play.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 PM
gwwillett
Rennlist Member

I got the same set of side markers. After installing, I noticed that the front three LEDs lit but the three back LEDs do not light. Mine had only two wires so how do you get those three to light either as a marker or as a turnsignal?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Carolie86
7th Gear

Looks great
Old 03-22-2012, 11:42 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 333 Posts

Great stuff. Please let us know how you make out with the flashing.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by gwwillett
Mine had only two wires so how do you get those three to light either as a marker or as a turnsignal?
Well I'll tell you after I blow a few more fuses...

Quick Reply: LED sidelights