Sponsored by:

Car Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P21S cleaner and wax
Yea and yea. And all of the above. Took my car to my indy mechanic and one of his crew said, "Wow, who details your car?" When I realized they were being complementary I was shocked.

Wash, clay, wash, wax. I use P21S soap, wax and tire cleaner. But all of the above are great too.
Bottom line: don't use dish soap. And use a proper wool mitt, for goodness sakes!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 266 Likes on 181 Posts

Meguiars NXT 2.0 Techwax and then Turtle wax leather conditioner for interior. Both are great.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveSpeed
I am not a random orbital waxer/polisher/buffer kinda guy. Should I take it to a pro then and pass on the hand waxing?
I was afraid to do the orbital cleaner/polish wax job,but the Griots stuff is really safe and they have a dvd that will tell you how to do everything.I highly reccomend it.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Meguires Gold Class for the leather. Zip Wax in the bucket every time I wash it. Old fashioned elbow grease along with a wash leather to dry it off then a run in the country.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:22 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never paid to have a car detailed but decided last night that due to the swirl marks on the pait I was going to try a pro.

I used Meguires clay bar and cleaner wax last year and thought it did a great job of reducing the swirl marks and making the car shine. I added a coat of Porsche brand wax (not sure who makes it).
Old 03-21-2012, 02:23 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

I guess I should prof read prior to posting.

pait = paint
Old 03-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Guido911
Intermediate

Yes wax hides the swirls, it fills them a up a little. But does not remove them. Eventually when the wax gets old, (decent wax lasts about 3 - 6 months, depends on the climate) the swirls will become visible again.

The Swissvax products marked with "Zuffenhausen" are specially made for Porsche paints. The wax has a long durability and gives amazing beading!

It's recommended to polish the car after using the clay. You may cause some extra swirlmarks due to the clay. Especially with more harder claybars.
If you are not going to polish it, i'd rather go for a medium or even a soft claybar to begin with.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:46 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveSpeed
I am not a random orbital waxer/polisher/buffer kinda guy. Should I take it to a pro then and pass on the hand waxing?
As a Pro detailer (part time these days) The question you need to ask yourself is what are your concerns with the car currently?

Many peole don't really have an eye for or don't necessarily care if the car has developed surface marring or light swirling. The majority of the market wants a car that's protected, won't fade over time and has a great shine and gloss when clean. If those are your goals choose whatever product sells itself the best to you and have at it. Putting in a little time and elbow grease will give you a good result and a sense of satisfaction at the same time.

If you're seeing swirl marks, surface marring, and small defects that are starting to bother you then look into the services of a professional to help restore the car to the best condition it can be. As with any service industry you really owe it to yourself to do your homework to find the right detailer for you as well as the correct level of service. Alot of the guys that are really good are not cheap but they are definitely worth the money.

Check over at Autopia.org and see if there are any Autopian detailers in your area. That whole community follows standards that should get you a high quality result if you choose to outsource.

Andy

Quick Reply: Car Detailing