Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Low speed cooling fan not working…time for a new resistor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Low speed cooling fan not working…time for a new resistor?

The other day while driving the 996 in traffic, I noticed the coolant temp got a little higher than normal. When I got back to my garage, I turned on the A/C to see if the fans were running on low speed and sure enough, the passenger side fan was not working. Both fans do work at high speed, so it looks like I need to replace the resistor for the passenger side fan.

Can someone who has done this before verify the part number for me? I think it is part no. 996-616-101-00. Also, it looks like the new part comes with a plug attached to the end but my research shows that the new resistor needs to be soldered on. Can the new plug simply be plugged in or is soldering required? TIA for any help…
Old 03-19-2012, 11:28 PM
sportlineguy
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If both fans run at high speed I would check the relay first. If good then just solder the new resistor on - easier than getting the whole harness plugged in and routed.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by sportlineguy
If both fans run at high speed I would check the relay first. If good then just solder the new resistor on - easier than getting the whole harness plugged in and routed.
Can a bad relay allow the high speed to work but not the low speed? I thought that this scenario always pointed towards a bad resistor.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:59 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

BUMP
Old 03-21-2012, 10:37 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

More than likely the resistor, but to check if its the relay just replace with another relay. There are 4 fan relays that are exactly the same, just swap them around, if nothing changes, its the resistor.

There is no plug on the new resistor, you need to splice it in. I just used crimp connectors filled with red Permatex gasket maker.. While you are at it,now is a good time to take off the front bumper cover and clean all the debris out of the AC condensers and radiators.
The following users liked this post:
peterp (06-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Low speed cooling fan not working…time for a new resistor?