996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

iPhone/Bluetooth Project

Old 03-16-2012, 04:30 PM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone/Bluetooth Project

So I want to take on my first DIY project on the car. Looking for an inexpensive way to run/charge my iPhone, play music and have bluetooth connectivity all at once. (I have an iPhone 4S)

I want to be able to utilize an aux in so I can have third party MP3 players.

I know becker has the Aux in cable which sounds pretty straightforward. I am slightly technically challenged although I feel I can do this on my own.

I am looking for any suggestions or successes that you have had.

I did a search but there are so many different ways, my head is spinning.

Need something simple yet effective.

All ideas are appreciated.

Yes, I know my first project should be to change out the pumpkins, but I kind of like the orange sidemarkers.

Last edited by AckyE; 03-16-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 03-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Before I changed my headunit, I had the Becker cable. It was a very simple installation - basically just unplugging the CD-changer from the back of the OEM headunit and plugging in the cable. I added a Scosche adapter to the end of the cable, which allows the cable to charge the iPhone. The sound quality was fine, and it was nice to have an iPod connection. The disadvantage is that you have to control your music on the iPhone, and not on the headunit. It's a pretty small screen, so this can be challenging. I usually just put it on a playlist and let it go.

I also had a Motorola bluetooth handsfree kit installed. It worked relatively well. It muted the stereo, and the sound quality wasn't too bad. The disadvantage of this unit was that it required a small control module to be accessable to use the phone. I had it installed on the batwing.

These two solutions, while not the ideal situation, did what you need. I removed both items when I installed an updated headunit.

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:43 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

I have an iPod touch and bought the Becker cable that plays and charges the iPhone/iPod Touch with one wire. I'm very happy with the setup, but as Dennis says, the screen is hard to see while your driving. Luckily, the iPod has a voice function. You hold down the function button until you hear a voice ask for a command, then you say "Play list Classical" or "Play songs by the Beatles", or whatever. This works pretty well, but sometimes you get something that doesn't seem remotely related. I find the sound quality to be very good.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Zapna
Advanced

Since you have a '99, I assume you have the CRD-220. Rather than buying the aux in from Becker, you can get both iPod and aux in here:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iP-BKR3.html

Also, if you also want bluetooth handsfree calling use this:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/BT-BEHF1.html

I am putting a Motorola T605 in my Boxster as soon as I locate a CDR220 for a reasonable amount of money to replace the CDR210. I am planning on using these cables and will let you know how it goes after its in. I plan on hooking up the A2DP streaming audio output of the T605 to the aux in on the iP-BKR3 so I can either plug in an iPod, or stream audio from my phone (like Pandora or Rhapsody). I have no need for an aux in, personally.

I have a T603 (bluetooth phone only) in the 996 with the CDR-23 (which requires a Dension unit for audio in, but thats another topic) which I am happy with. I bought a blank button and drilled a hole in it the size of the microphone, then hot glued it in. Looks great.

Oh, and a shot of the T605 controller.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Zapna; 03-16-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Nice hiding place for the controls! Well done!
Old 03-17-2012, 02:08 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Anyone have an idea whether there is a harness for the porsche nav PCM1? I would like to do something similar to the installation above.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Zapna
Advanced

TomF: Unfortunately, the PCM1 doesn't appear to have phone mute capability and phone audio in. Normally, you would have phone in on pins C7 and 12 (CDR23) or 13 and 14 (CRD220). But, according to this pinout diagram, they don't appear to be on the PCM1 (maybe plug II, pin 9?): http://home.no/zxcv/pcm1/
Old 03-17-2012, 06:58 PM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

I lime what Zapna has done. I am leanign towards the simple AUX IN cable for now, but let see what other projects come my way.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:22 AM
rpolin
Instructor

I just replaced my becker head unit with a JVC single din unit (KD-R730BT) and couldn't be happier however I now have the AUX IN cable that I am no longer using wants one on the cheap. Just shoot me a PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iPhone/Bluetooth Project