Understeer - hit the wall with the front end
Oversteer - hit the wall with the back end
Horsepower - how much damage you do when you hit the wall
Torque - how much you move the wall when you hit it
Old 03-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I've put 35,000 miles on my 996 in 4 years, and haven't even killed myself once yet!

As other people have said, it depends way more on the person - I know some people who are "unsafe at any speed" and in any car. And other people who have been driving 911 variants for decades.

Perhaps the OP would be at home in a Saab or Volvo?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:47 PM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by targa996
Take the car to autocross to see how it handles. Even with PSM off, the car is quite controllable, and not that easy to make the back-end break loose - of course eventually you reach the laws of physics - but with PSM on - you have to be doign something very stupid to get into trouble ,,, Understeer was much more of an issue than oversteer for me ...
Exactly, I was quite suprised during a winter skills track day in the rain how difficult it is to get the rear loose. Even with the PSM switched off the car is balanced with understeer at the limit. Of course the rear can be loosened up with the thottle.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van
I've put 35,000 miles on my 996 in 4 years, and haven't even killed myself once yet!
98% of us will die at some point in our lives.

-Eric
Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 AM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

By far, the most stable car I've ever driven. In fact, after one weekend of very spirited driving, I was going to work in my SUV and took a turn at a slower speed and almost rolled the SUV. Now that's unsafe. As Clint E. said, "a man has to know his limits". The 996 pushes mine.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some pretty funny replies here. Great entertainment.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:48 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Growing up in the Chicago area I saw many more Corvettes straddling guard rails pointing the wrong way in winter then 911's. Putting the engine in the front does not mean the car is more stable in an emergency maneuver. And it is not always poor road conditions that make Vettes tricky to drive. There are several fun videos on Youtube of Vette Drivers loosing control on dry streets just because they do not understand the dynamics of their car and its power. Best investment any Sports Car owner can make is a club sponsored Drivers Skills day. If you really want to understand your 911 - don't read writers reviews - join the club and do Driver Skills training. Trust me you are going to really enjoy the day and your 911.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:32 AM
Pac996
Drifting

They're only unsafe if you aren't driving them.
Anyway, here's a video of Ivangene's cruising partner.
I'd kind of like to hear Ed's word on this subject.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:21 AM
fronesis47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTomT

I understand the argument that if the car is driven properly & within it's limits, by an adequately experienced/skilled driver, then there should be no problem, but this does not account for all situations on the road.
Other drivers, mechanical failures, dangerous road surfaces, weather condition etc. All of these external factors come into play also.
I think you are missing a key point here. Any modern 911 has SO MUCH TRACTION and stability in its basic tire/wheel/suspension setup, with the addition of traction control, that there is NO WAY there should be any "situation on the road" that causes you to lose traction in a 911 more than it would in any other car.

That is, if I need to avoid someone stopping, go around a falling tree, make my way over an icy patch or whatever else, it will be EASIER to do it in a 996 than in a civic, or an audi, or whatever else. (And I won't even get started on the tip over dangers of the all those high COG SUVs.)

Those journalist are talking about what happens when you go into a hairpin turn on the track at 110mph and then use your instinct to lift off.

I recommend driving on the street so as to never replicate approaching a hairpin at 110mph.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:19 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default the reality of it

The rear weight bias of 911s was overcome by vast improvements in tire width and technology, and continual refinement in suspension design. By the time the 911SC series was introduced in 1978, handling limits had been raised to a level far higher than the capabilities of most owners.

relinuca
Old 03-13-2012, 11:35 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to autocross and track a '69 911S. Early suspension; narrower tires. It rode better than a lot of new 911s and the oversteer was an absolute joy. Gave you tremendous ability to steer both with the throttle and the steering wheel.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

I once read that "Porsche took a really bad design and perfected it!"
Old 03-13-2012, 03:40 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Eastwood

Originally Posted by babylonboots
By far, the most stable car I've ever driven. In fact, after one weekend of very spirited driving, I was going to work in my SUV and took a turn at a slower speed and almost rolled the SUV. Now that's unsafe. As Clint E. said, "a man has to know his limits". The 996 pushes mine.
"A man's got to know his limitations." Sounds the same but is it really?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:28 PM
DanDotDan
Pro

For street driving, the Porsche is very stable as long as you stay within its performance envelope. And the envelope is huge. Within that envelope, it will go where you tell it to go and do what you tell it to do with amazing precision.

On the track or AutoX the rear bias will occasionally make itself known, but you really have to work it. Like others have said, an AutoX is the best way to find out. Under those conditions, you can try all of the situations: trail braking, early throttle-on, the dreaded trailing throttle oversteer, etc. I tried them all and haven't spun the 911 even once. By contrast, I spun my old BMW M-roadster a few times. It was a tail-happy little beast.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:02 PM
URQ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
What "journalists" are stating that driving a modern 911 is like "throwing a hammer handle first?"

-Eric
Sounds like the journalists don't know how to use hammers either!

Quick Reply: Are all 911s inherently unsafe?