Sponsored by:

Funny 'ticking' sound upon waking from winter

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 06:22 PM
AspenSTI2010
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Funny 'ticking' sound upon waking from winter

Hi Guys, so with the nicer weather I finally brought the C4S out of hibernation. This is the first 911 I have owned and the first winter storing it.
To start it up I removed the fuse for the fuel pump, turned her over a few times for around a second, then cranked her over until the oil pressure was at 5. Put the fuse back in, started up no probs.
After getting out of the car I heard what sounding like ticking to me. more pronounced on the passenger side. Any one experience this or have any ideas? All the fluids were replaced before storage the I checked the levels before starting.
Took it out for a 30 min drive, let her warm up good, didn't get any CEL and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. she has 93K KMS on it and will going for the major service soon.
VID:
Old 03-11-2012, 06:27 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

It's a lifter that leaked down. Mine did this last year. I left it idle for 20 min and it went away. Did you stop after the drive?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Italian tune up on the highway should clear that up!

Last edited by Topaz330ci; 03-12-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:00 AM
AspenSTI2010
Instructor

what does a lifter leaking down mean?
i will check tomorrow to see if it's gone.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

When some or all of the oil leaks out of the lifter it will make noise until it gets pumped up again.

How Hydraulic Valve Lifters Actually Work

A hydraulic valve lifter has four distinct parts, the check ball mechanism, body, socket and plunger. The plunger and socket move along with the push rod, and the body moves in conjunction with the cam. Riding in between the plunger and the socket is a spring and an oil cushion. The hydraulic valve lifter is pressurized by the oil gallery right at the start of motion in the engine. The pressure from the oil is only just enough to remove whatever clearance there is in the valve train, but not enough to actually open the hydraulic valve itself. The cam pushes on the hydraulic valve lifter's body in order to actually open the valve. The spring holds the check ball in its place, and the hydraulic valve lifter's motion opens the check ball cavit,y leaving the check ball behind, but only for a second or so. Then, the cam pushes the hydraulic valve lifter body forward, and the push rod holds the plunger in place while the check ball cavity gets smaller. The check ball is held in place by the support spring, and oil pressure in the cavity forces the check ball to move forward, and that closes the check ball cavity. This traps oil in the check ball cavity and makes the plunger assembly move with the hydraulic valve lifter body, and then that moves the push rod and opens the hydraulic valve. The oil pressure inside the check ball cavity prevents the spring inside from compressing further. The cam then finishes its rotation, and the spring makes the hydraulic valve lifter body go back to the rest position on the base circle of the cam. The check ball isn't under a lot of pressure then and is ready to be shoved into the spring by the oil pressure, which lets in oil into the check ball cavity and starts the whole cycle again.

Read more: How Do Hydraulic Valve Lifters Work? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5006538...#ixzz1orv8JyeE
Old 03-12-2012, 10:08 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My car does this after sitting for awhile. Is this something that needs to be addressed? Did not think much about it because driving made it go away.

Quick Reply: Funny 'ticking' sound upon waking from winter