Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012 | 02:18 PM
2001996c4
Advanced

Default Repairs

Good morning!

Looking for some advice:

My car is a 2001 c4 with 103,000 miles. I've owned it for almost three years and have had oil changes, new alternator, new RF cv boot. I'm pretty sure I need to replace my AOS and have that and a new oil filler down spout from pelican ready to install. My car leaves dime to quarter sized oil drips right and left rear under engine. I'm hoping the leaks are coming from cracked oil filler down spout and or AOS. It has been noted by a dealer, who tried to steal the car from me, long story, that my cam covers were leaking. This seems to make sense as the leaks are nicely left and right.

My debate, do the AOS and downspout myself as planned? Too much for me to pull and reseal the cam covers, don't have the special tool. However I hate to tear into the AOS if the AOS and cam cover labor overlap. Has anyone had these two repairs done, should I have them both taken care of at the same time? Should I do AOS myself then take to Indy for cam covers, I assume the cam covers are a big deal?

Lastly any advice for a reliable independent in the Salem/Portland Oregon area? The Indy I was going use over in Bend charged me $1,100 for a reman alternator so won't go back there.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-11-2012 | 02:51 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Could the spark plug tubes leaking. There was a post here a few days ago called something like "what is this picture".
Old 03-12-2012 | 12:50 AM
2001996c4
Advanced

Thanks Pete, sounds like Wallardmac and I might be looking at the same issue.
Old 03-12-2012 | 09:02 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Could the spark plug tubes leaking. There was a post here a few days ago called something like "what is this picture".
I agree Pete, seems to be a fairly common oil leak area. I think I have one small oil leak that appears to be a spark plug tube issue as well.
Old 03-12-2012 | 06:07 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Can't just guess. You need to get underneath and look to mkae sure.

If its the cam covers, and its just small drips, I wouldn't go through the DIY hassle or pay a mechanic to do it, I'd live with it. You can also try removing the lower cam cover bolts one by one, cleaning everything up and then goobering it really good with gasket maker and putting back in. Use a torque wrench and DON'T overtighten. Mine leak and I was able to stop a lot of the leaking by using the above method but I have two bolts that still drip a little.

Quick Reply: Repairs