Amphibious 996...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 02:16 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

This site might be a big help also. It is more technical then Rennlist
http://www.renntech.org/forums/forum...rera-4s-targa/
If you join you can get access to some manuals and more technical info, TSBs, OBD Codes, etc
Old 03-25-2012, 12:53 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The "drain holes" on the exhaust are for O2 sensors.
The plug could have been dropped by the mechanic just before he put it in.
He should have checked the plug for damage after droping before he installed it.
These are just guesses on my part,but wish you well on this project.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, see, this is what happens when you are unclear about what it means to have the first 911 with a water-cooled engine.

Seriously, good luck with the project. I'm still proud I could swap my own side markers, so I'm in awe of folks like you.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 AM
simon996
8th Gear

Smile It's alive!!

Massive progress!

Finally got a spare couple of days and the right ecu/immob combo and the starter solenoid started trying to work, which from what people had said meant that the immobiliser headache was over!

The starter was removed and tested - dead. Liberal sprays of WD40 and a few gentle taps with a hammer and it stuttered back to life and eventually it seemed to be fully working.

Once the starter was put back, the engine turned on the key! Very sluggishly at first, but on the second try, it very nearly fired. At that point, I rang my dad as he wanted to witness the first starting. He arrived, turned the key and it spluttered into life!

The n/s bank of cylinders all seemed to be working (with a lot of steam from the exhaust), but the o/s didn't appear to be doing anything. After 5 minutes of idling, I prodded the throttle and it was definitely only running on 3 cylinders. 10 minutes of idling later and a prod of throttle and the o/s exhaust started steaming slightly (by this time, the n/s exhaust was completely clean). More idling and gentle revving and it is now on all six! There is still a bit of steam coming from the o/s exhaust, but that's not really surprising given what it's been through. I think another run up to full temperature (fans all kicked in, everything appeared to do what it is supposed to) will clear that side and we're in business!

My only concern (well, top of the long list!) is that there appears to be a noise not unlike a coin in a washing machine coming from the o/s of the engine. It doesn't seem to be a constant noise and it might be related to the water which is still in the exhaust system, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Bad weather has stopped play today, but as soon as it stops raining, I'll carry on.

Frankly, I'm amazed (and ridiculously excited!)
Old 04-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, that's great news for you and your previously waterlogged Porsche. Hope luck stays with you until all is good to go.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:24 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Does sound promising so far! Good Luck.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:05 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by simon996
Massive progress!

Finally got a spare couple of days and the right ecu/immob combo and the starter solenoid started trying to work, which from what people had said meant that the immobiliser headache was over!

The starter was removed and tested - dead. Liberal sprays of WD40 and a few gentle taps with a hammer and it stuttered back to life and eventually it seemed to be fully working.

Once the starter was put back, the engine turned on the key! Very sluggishly at first, but on the second try, it very nearly fired. At that point, I rang my dad as he wanted to witness the first starting. He arrived, turned the key and it spluttered into life!

The n/s bank of cylinders all seemed to be working (with a lot of steam from the exhaust), but the o/s didn't appear to be doing anything. After 5 minutes of idling, I prodded the throttle and it was definitely only running on 3 cylinders. 10 minutes of idling later and a prod of throttle and the o/s exhaust started steaming slightly (by this time, the n/s exhaust was completely clean). More idling and gentle revving and it is now on all six! There is still a bit of steam coming from the o/s exhaust, but that's not really surprising given what it's been through. I think another run up to full temperature (fans all kicked in, everything appeared to do what it is supposed to) will clear that side and we're in business!

My only concern (well, top of the long list!) is that there appears to be a noise not unlike a coin in a washing machine coming from the o/s of the engine. It doesn't seem to be a constant noise and it might be related to the water which is still in the exhaust system, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Bad weather has stopped play today, but as soon as it stops raining, I'll carry on.

Frankly, I'm amazed (and ridiculously excited!)
You might check the chain tensioners. You can pull the two rear ones fairly easily. Pin the engine at TDC before you remove them. Do a search for "replacing IMS bearing" for instructions.

Fig 3, 4, 5 in this thread.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...erTech-162.htm

Lot of info scattered about in here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-cylinder.html
Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM
simon996
8th Gear

Originally Posted by fpb111
You might check the chain tensioners. You can pull the two rear ones fairly easily. Pin the engine at TDC before you remove them. Do a search for "replacing IMS bearing" for instructions.

Fig 3, 4, 5 in this thread.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...erTech-162.htm

Lot of info scattered about in here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-cylinder.html
Thanks fpb111, looks like that's my weekend taken care of!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=simon996;9430096]Massive progress!

QUOTE]

I have heard the baffles inside the muffler brake at the weld points and come loose...rattling inside.....my 0.02 cents...
Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

+1. The fact that the sound isnn't rhythmic suggests something related to exhaust as a possibility (let's hope). If you decide that it's safe to run the engine again, try to isolate the noise via a stethascope, etc. As Pesuazo said, may be a muffler... or a converter - good luck & keep us posted. Interesting project.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:40 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to cause panic, but could the IMS bearing loose it's grease by sitting in water? Hope that's not the coin in washer sound you are hearing!

Looks like a really clean car (no pun intended)! Hope it works out!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

First off great project and nice that the DME/ECU was not damaged. The sound could be a number of things including the IMS impending failure which there are online videos that can be found for sound comparison. I would imagine there are shops that can repair or replace with new engineered IMS bearing if needed. Did you remove all the carpets (foam backing can hold moisture in the foam), seats etc to completely dry off?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:40 PM
speed rII
Pro

Nice project

I hope that you changed engine oils and filter before you started the engine...
Old 04-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speed rII
Nice project

I hope that you changed engine oils and filter before you started the engine...
I don't think he has started it yet. He mentioned oe time that he figures he will have to change ECU and keys and such.

If work on the car becomes too much work there is always stripping it down to be a track car. Selling the parts like seats and such can help fund new light weight seats and belts.

Sad to see such a nice car got flooded. Have fun organizing the parts reconditioning the car.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:44 PM
speed rII
Pro

Pac996, check post #19

Quick Reply: Amphibious 996...