Sponsored by:

Suggestions for a new owner to get his 996 TT ready for a track day

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:46 PM
MikenOH
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suggestions for a new owner to get his 996 TT ready for a track day

A good friend of mine just picked up an '02' TT in very nice shape and thinks he's interested in doing some track days with it. He's had 2 other Porsches including an 2001 C2.

The car appears to have been lowered on H&R (?) springs, had it reflashed and put a less restrictive exhaust put on it and he thinks RW HP to be in the 450 range.
Other wise the car is completely stock--wheels, brakes, etc.

I think it makes sense for him to just take it slowly and not invest a lot of money on modding the car before he decides this is his cup of tea, but know from my own experience that the right brake fluid, pads, tire pressure and alignment can make a big difference in how the car behaves on the track.

Would appreciate you suggestions on the following:
-Which Brake fluid?
-Which Brake pads? (are stock pads good enough for a track like Mid-OH?)
-Alignment settings?
-Tire pressure settings? (hot--running Hankook Ventus V12 evo)

Thanks for any help with this.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

if it's his first time out, you don't need to change anything. Just have fun w/ it. Make sure mechanicals are in good conditions, tires in good condition and that's it.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:08 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Tell you freidn not to mod his car at all until her knows for sure that DE will be his cup of tea. I believe that he is going to have to show his brake fuid was changed (on the DE tech forms)...I would recommend, ATE blue or gold, or if he wants to spend more money, Motul 600..... Brake pads, I would stay with stock for a bit. Alignment, I wouldn't change just yet.learn how to drive the car, 1st before you start monkeying around with alignment, suspension, etc., It is going to take some dedicated track days before he really learns how the car handles. As for tite pressure, he will need to take into account ambient temp at the start of his event and starting pressure. He doesn't want the tire temps to get too high. After each stint, immediately check the tire pressure and reduce to make sure not more than max reommended by mfg. As the day goes one, the track heats up, he will need to bleed-off pressure. Most importantly, listen to the instructor, have an open mind and enjoy. Save the mods, etc., for a bit later then start with safety mods first. Later-on, once he really knows the track and his car, how it handles/reacts, worry about alignment, etc. Just my .02.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Each club will have an inspection sheet that the driver and/or their mechanic will have to fill out beforehand. Use common sense with the tires, brakes, fluids. Not much else needed first time out.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:45 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Why not have your friend post here? His total post count would only be 1 less than yours!

Quick Reply: Suggestions for a new owner to get his 996 TT ready for a track day