996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tire wear, is this why it was noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 07:11 PM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Tire wear, is this why it was noisy?

So I posted before about just collecting my car and after driving found out the rear tires were down 8 PSI in one and 22 PSI in the other.

I took the wheels off today to clean them and the brakes and whilst both were worn out the low one had real bad inside edge wear as you can see in the pic, I presume this wear is related to the low pressure rather than a bad alignment.
The car was also really noisy when running even with more air in, with these bad tires do you think the noise was due to this wear? Check the wheel bearings and they seem fine.

The front tires are in real good condition with loads of wear, they are Sumitomo III’s with a 08 date stamp. My question is I am going to change the wheels, I have read that the Sumitomo;s are a good choice, could I go with them and re-use these fronts on the new rims?

Thanks

Ross
Name:  tire.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  352.9 KB
Old 03-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Most people go through 2 sets of rears for each set of fronts. Wear on the inner edges is common, even if your alignment is good. I had a set of Sumis. They became very loud towards the end of their useful life.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:58 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

It is all in how much you want to spend. For the price the Sumi HTRZIII is a good choice. Replace the rears and then decide on your next full set in 10k. And get the car aligned by someone who knows Porsche.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default tire wear

+1 on getting an alignment, front and rear; cost varies, my dealer charged $260while an indy said $150.

relinuca
Old 03-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Noise can also be attributed to age as well as wear. I've had tires on my car that were not worn but still noisy because the rubber had started to dry out and become hard. Depending upon the mileage on the fronts, you might want to replace all 4.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

If you can feel roughness on the tire you can hear it too as you drive. You can feel uneven wear before you can see it. Underinflated tires put more of the load on the outer edges of the tire so that could be the major cause of the noise & accelerated wear. If you are happy with the Sumi tires excepting the noise you could just put the same tire back on the rear & see how they do with proper psi.
If the tire in the pic shows the inner tread side that wear didn't look too bad to me, but maybe just hard to see in the pic.

Quick Reply: Tire wear, is this why it was noisy?