Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anybody install a subwoofer under their seat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012 | 09:08 PM
yellow_tornado
AutoX

Default Anybody install a subwoofer under their seat?

I have a Lo-Fi sound system, so no speakers in the door. I've already upgraded the speakers in the dash and the back with Focal 2-ways and it already sounds a lot better but it doesn't hit any of the lows. I can't put a box in the back since that's where my golf clubs live. So, it seems like the options are: 1) get a custom built enclosure for behind the seat (in the rear passengers foot well); or 2) fit a smaller sub under the passenger seat (i have manual seats so there should be room) - i'm thinking something like this - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT...PT.html?tp=114

Has anyone done something like this? If so, do you have any pics? how does it sound?

p.s. I've looked through the search results and it seems like there are some people who have done this with their 944 but I did not find anything under 996.

thanks for your time.
Old 02-29-2012 | 09:44 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Honestly I don't think that will fit, have you measured?

There are flatter subs out there, but they prob wont have much sound.

IMO best option is either a bass tube or custom box behind the rear seats.
Old 02-29-2012 | 10:33 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

I think Car Audion Innovations as some small boxes made for 911's.
Old 03-01-2012 | 05:02 AM
Agena
Rennlist Member

Sound In Motion out of Boston has a custom enclosure that goes in the passenger front foot well. The enclosure uses a shallow subwoofer. I just had this installed and it makes all the difference in the world. I highly recommend you speak with the team there. As a side note, (no pun intended) the door speakers aren't a real miss once you have the subwoofer given you've addressed the deck and rear speakers.
Old 03-01-2012 | 10:09 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

I installed a custom pair of subwoofer enclosures in the rear footwells and they sound great. Search for Rod at CAI - he's been around 911's a bit and knows what he's doing. I am very pleased w/ the results.
Old 03-01-2012 | 12:32 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

I've also found if you seal up the door baffles really good and tight, it makes a world of a difference for bass response. Harman/Kardon actually did a pretty good job with those baffles.

To do this, trim a piece of microfiber cloth around the outside of the speaker so it sandwiches in between the speaker and enclosure and provides a better seal.

Dynamat on the doors helps too.
Old 03-01-2012 | 01:04 PM
yellow_tornado
AutoX

thanks for all of the great ideas and info. I will look up each of these options.

@ logray, I didn't measure for the Sound Ordnance sub but it looks like the Kenwood version (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KSCS...10.html?tp=114) will fit. However; as you've stated I'm not sure about the sound quality.
Old 03-01-2012 | 01:18 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Do you have a cab?
Old 03-01-2012 | 02:55 PM
yellow_tornado
AutoX

no. i have a '02 targa. my main concerns are: 1) space due to the fact that i need room for my golf clubs; and 2) cost - i'm not really interested in buying a $500 ~ $1000 sub system.

Quick Reply: Anybody install a subwoofer under their seat?