996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine noise when warm, fine when cold!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 04:10 PM
Isaac747
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well now I feel like a tool this thread got revived from 2012...first round on me.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:24 AM
B4noa
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from right hand side of engine

Hi did you ever get to the bottom of this problem as my 996 tip is doing the same,it goes away when I put it into drive?
Old 08-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by B4noa
Hi did you ever get to the bottom of this problem as my 996 tip is doing the same,it goes away when I put it into drive?
My best advice is to get the car to a qualified shop and let an experienced Porsche tech give a listen and advise you.

In cases where there is a noise from the engine or possibly the transmission/drive train that I have not 100% identified the source I prefer to err on the side of caution and have the car flat bedded to the dealer to avoid the risk of more damage, more collateral damage, should the noise be a pending more serious problem.

In the case of your car that the noise -- I'm not sure what the noise is? Ticking? Knocking? Something else? (And this is not a hint that you need to post an audio clip. Until you know the source of the noise and what it likely means the less running of the engine you do the better.) -- goes away when the Tip is put into gear could arise from the Tip.

I'm not all that familiar with Tip equipped cars and their noises. But in the past I have experienced other automatic equipped vehicles and in some cases the noise was from heat shielding or some part of the exhaust system or even the body that was vibrating at idle but when the automatic was put into drive and the idle speed decreased and the engine changed its position due to the torque presented by having to spin the torque converter the noise stopped. IOWs, the source of the noise was pretty benign.

But in other cases -- not to scare you just to be thorough -- the noise proved to be from a bad automatic.

It can be from other things as well, something serious and in need of attention but not necessarily as serious as a noisy transmission.

Get the car to a shop for a professional's diagnosis.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Engine noise when warm, fine when cold!