new to 996 forum, question on stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:26 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts
Default new to 996 forum, question on stereo

Hi all,

So I have sold my 86' 911 and have bought myself a 996. I've been wanting a 996 for a while now and the car satisfies all my needs and expectations as I had imagined them. Its a treat every single time to drive the car.

I have a CR-220 in the car and had purchased the Becker AUX cable + keys. I managed to pull the head-unit out (with some difficulty, very tightly fitted). I replaced the connector of the CDC with the AUX cable and everything worked. But now I am not able to fit the stereo back into the console

I suspected that the thick AUX cable was the issue, but even without the cable I am not able to fit the stereo back into the console. I read a bunch of past threads on this topic, but none mentioned how they routed the AUX cable - was it through the same console spot, or did you have to change the layout? The AUX cable is definitely thick and mostly would obstruct the head-unit from being shoved back in, or flatten the wire in the process. I am open to rearranging the console if it doesn't demand too much work, and also doesn't leave the console looking ugly :P

Before you guys ask, here's a picture of my car

Last edited by shyamvenky; 05-28-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Hello and welcome to 996 ownership!

Back when I still had my CDR-220, I added the same cable. I routed mine into my glovebox, so it was totally concealed. Based on the photo of your car, I'm guessing you don't have a glovebox, so that option is out for you.

You say that you can't get the headunit back in place, even without the cable? Can you tell where it's catching or what's preventing it from going in?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome! Another Jersey 996'er! How about a Pic?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Hi Dennis,
Since I don't have a glove box, I can't say if I can route the cable through there There is the cage for the head-unit concealed within the DIN slot (something like a small speed-hump). I think that's what is blocking the unit. Have you had to mitigate a similar issue when you were rewiring? Also, I wasn't able to find out an exit route from the console slot so that I could send the AUX cable through there. Am I missing something here?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Hard to say. My OEM headunit was very easy to remove and very easy to put back in place, even with the cable there.

I've seen many people run the cable out of the center console on the passenger's side near the floor. This allows you to put an iPod mount over there, or to run the cable up to the storage cubby where you'll keep the iPod.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:25 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

ahaa.. so there is an exit from the head-unit's slot to the passenger's side floor. I'll try to look for it. But with regards to the DIN slot being a tight fit - is that normal? I mean.. I am aware of Porsche's ingenious methods of engineering (I had a hell of a time trying to remove the headlamp assembly from my old 911 :P, and the inconvenient location of the hood-strut nuts n bolts)

As for pictures.. I'll have to get back home after work to take 'em.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome. We do need more red cars in here.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:39 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
ahaa.. so there is an exit from the head-unit's slot to the passenger's side floor. I'll try to look for it. But with regards to the DIN slot being a tight fit - is that normal? I mean.. I am aware of Porsche's ingenious methods of engineering (I had a hell of a time trying to remove the headlamp assembly from my old 911 :P, and the inconvenient location of the hood-strut nuts n bolts)

As for pictures.. I'll have to get back home after work to take 'em.
There is plenty of room back there. Look at http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...trieullionaire. It does nto address what you are doing, but you will find instructions in some of the posts for removing the side covers of the lower console so that you get your hand around the back of the radio and grab wires.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to 996 world. Interesting to note that some of the 996 crowd is going back to 3.2s or 964s. Nice looking coupe, how many miles?
Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

@DCP: thanks for the link. I'll look through to find more info.
@Jay: If I were anywhere else other than the east coast, I would've kept both the cars. Its got 57k miles on it, pretty much stock - 6spd.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:10 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Actually, I just shoved the head-unit a bit firmly and it seems to go in. I'll try with the cable today - hopefully it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for all your suggestions

Quick Reply: new to 996 forum, question on stereo