Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How do you remove the base on a Britax Roundabout?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How do you remove the base on a Britax Roundabout?

I just bought a Britax Roundabout 55 to put in the back of my cab - everyone mentions to remove the base - but how does one do that?

Any instructions would be appreciated...
Old 02-19-2012, 05:55 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure I remember correctly, I had a Britax roundabout a while back and removed the base by removing the brass pivot rot that goes through the base and seat. Think there was a "c" clip on one end in a detent on the rod. May have to pull the front handle to recline the seat to see it better. Been a while, but that's what I remember from my older model.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:09 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm tried to look for something like that but can't find where I would disconnect it....
Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I truly mean no offense by this, but why on earth would you do that? You bought one of the best car seats, with a fantastic record, specifically because the seat is designed to protect your child in the event of a crash. Britax designs its seats to work with their base. To the best of my knowledge, removing the base is not recommended. Specifically, their "SafeCell" technology is incorporated into the base and prevents injury:

"SafeCell Technology features SafeCells, an engineered structure, designed to compress in a crash, significantly lowering the center of gravity and counteracting the forward rotation of the child seat which normally propels the child toward the vehicle seat in front of the child restraint. The SafeCells that comprise SafeCell Technology are located in the base of the seat."

I'm sure you can find a link online to teach you how to remove the seat's base to get a "better fit" in your car, but I think you really do want to be careful about that. It's one thing to remove a cushion from your car, it's another to remove an integral part of the car seat itself

Last edited by Peter 642; 02-22-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:05 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter 642
I truly mean no offense by this, but why on earth would you do that? You bought one of the best car seats, with a fantastic record, specifically because the seat is designed to protect your child in the event of a crash. Britax designs its seats to work with their base. To the best of my knowledge, removing the base is not recommended. Specifically, their "SafeCell" technology is incorporated into the base and prevents injury:

"SafeCell Technology features SafeCells, an engineered structure, designed to compress in a crash, significantly lowering the center of gravity and counteracting the forward rotation of the child seat which normally propels the child toward the vehicle seat in front of the child restraint. The SafeCells that comprise SafeCell Technology are located in the base of the seat."

I'm sure you can find a link online to teach you how to remove the seat's base to get a "better fit" in your car, but I think you really do want to be careful about that. It's one thing to remove a cushion from your car, it's another to remove an integral part of the car seat itself
That is correct and I agree, the SafeCell is built into the seat of new Britax models, and I would leave it on. It may fit just fine, might want to remove the seat bottom and/or backs for more room. The older roundabout models did not have this technology, although the manual "mentions" that the base is energy absorbing, it makes no mention that it should not be removed (or they wouldn't have made it so easy, which might be why your base will not come off?).
Old 03-09-2014, 03:24 PM
thejoee
Advanced

any luck with the removal ?
Old 03-09-2014, 11:42 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Long story, but I had to mount 2 roundabouts in the car, and removed the bases as they fit better in the back. From what i recall, I pried out the black plug on the base and removed the metal rod.....To be honest as much as I enjoy hauling the kids around in the p-car, the seats went straight back into the DD where they latch securely.
Kids safety trumps driving pleasure every time!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:09 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

I dumped the idea of using the Britax Roundabout and modifying the car seat.
Instead I bought the Porsche Junior seats with narrow base that fits in the rear seat - fit perfectly with no mods.
If you search on the car seat thread you will see other options exist
Old 03-10-2014, 12:46 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 9964runner
Kids safety trumps driving pleasure every time!
+996
Old 03-10-2014, 04:54 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Multiple car seat threads on here. I have a Recaro ProBooster that fits perfect with no modifications, it was about $85 on Amazon.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:09 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
Multiple car seat threads on here. I have a Recaro ProBooster that fits perfect with no modifications, it was about $85 on Amazon.
Yes, ProBooster works - but only as a booster seat - not a harnessed seat for the younger ones...

Quick Reply: How do you remove the base on a Britax Roundabout?