Sponsored by:

How to drop off oil samples?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Default How to drop off oil samples?

Planning to send in my sample using the kit provided by Blackstone. The kit has double bottles and prepaid postage. Looks bomb proof to me.

Should I just drop it in any mail box or bring it to the post office in person? Any hassles?

TIA
Old 02-13-2012, 01:50 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Have not had a problem dropping off at the post office. I never got prepaid postage with mine??
Old 02-13-2012, 02:21 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
Have not had a problem dropping off at the post office. I never got prepaid postage with mine??
+1. Just drop off. You roll the little container in the absorbant pad. Then put that into the zip lock bag and squeeze out the air. Then put all that into the black outer container.

As for the prepaid postage, this is an option you can select when buying your kits in bulk from Blackstone.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, guys. Will just drop it off at the post office in person then.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:18 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/postal-requirements.php
In this age of terrorism, many post offices have become wary about sending anything though the mail that may be deemed dangerous. However,

Oil is not hazardous material!

It is safe and legal to send oil through the mail. If the post office insists that you pay for hazardous shipping, or that the sample must go by ground rather than air, please give them our post office letter. It explains how Blackstone's oil kits — and the oil itself — meets all US Postal Regulations. If they still resist accepting your sample, have them call us at 260/744-2380. We may not be able to change their mind, but we can try.

You might also try putting your sample in a padded envelope or small box and dropping it in a mailbox, so that it automatically goes into the system.

Postal letter:

"Dear Sir or Madam:

The product being sent in our oil sample container is new or used lubricating oil. It is not hazardous, flammable, or toxic. The average flashpoint of used engine oil is 380°F. Used transmission fluid or lube oil has an average flashpoint of 340°F. The minimum flashpoint for all oils we receive is 250°F. The postal regulations for Combustible Liquid Mailability (DMM 10.13.3) indicate that:

"For air or surface transportation, if the flashpoint is above 200°F (93°C) the material is not regulated as hazardous material. Such nonregulated materials must be properly and securely packaged to prevent leakage under the general packaging requirements in 2.0 Packaging."

Our oil analysis kit consists of two HDPE plastic bottles, both with lined screwed-on caps to prevent leakage. The white inner bottle (capacity: 100cc) and absorbent material should be placed in the plastic zip-lock bag. This bag and absorbent material not only prevent leakage from the inner bottle, but they also serve as packing material to prevent the inner bottle from being jarred during shipping. Should both the inner bottle and plastic bag leak, the outer bottle will contain any excess oil. The oil must be packaged as we have specified to meet USPS regulations.

In the unlikely event that oil should actually spill from the black mailer, the clean-up procedure (as specified by MSDE Safety sheets for virgin and used oil) is to simply contain the spill and wash contaminated areas with soap and water.

This letter and the accompanying packaging have been approved by the United States Postal Service. If you have any questions about the samples being sent to our laboratory, please contact Patty Buell, USPS Manager of Customer Services, at 260/427-7316. You may also contact Blackstone Laboratories at 260/744-2380.

Sincerely,

Kristin Huff
Vice President
Blackstone Laboratories"
Old 02-14-2012, 02:26 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, Frank. I just dropped it off at the mail box inside the postoffice (didn't bring it to the counter). I noticed the drop box says everything that heavier than 13oz will need to be brought to the counter as a safety measure or will be returned to the sender. I think my oil sample is roughly 13oz. Will see if it goes thru...

Quick Reply: How to drop off oil samples?