Sponsored by:

Feedback on roll-bar decision!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:18 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sprintamx
Anyone know why the Brey-Krause Harness bar is not allowed for DE? After some calls we were told they are not allowed....not sure if this is our region or all of PCA?

Must be a region thing; I see them frequently in the mid-atlantic area . . .
It is commonly believed that use of 5 or 6pt harnesses without a roll bar is very unsafe. The thinking is that in a rollover incident, the harnesses will hold you upright in the seat and if the roof collapses you'll be in a bad way.

Not sure how true or common this is, but it's my understanding that this is why harness bars are discouraged or banned.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

My understanding is that race seats (non-reclining), the type we use with harnesses, really must be used with a roll bar. Reclining seats are designed to give if the roof collapses. Racing seats will not give and without a roll bar.... very bad things can happen. Hence, harness bars are not such a good idea for track duty, but suffice for AX and low roll over probability duty.

Just my .02
Old 02-20-2012, 02:14 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good explanation - but I wonder how many cars have ever rolled in DE?

More reason to just go to a dedicated track car and stop this never ending cycle of non-street friendly mods.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:26 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cannon1000
More reason to just go to a dedicated track car and stop this never ending cycle of non-street friendly mods.
Yes I expected the thread would end up here

I've decided to remove the back seats and go with either a GMG or RSS bar that bolts to the rear shock towers and seat belt mounts. I won't be welding or drilling the car just for DE.

I'll also be buying a beater for kid hauling duty. I don't have the funds or the space for a dedicated track car, truck, trailer, etc. Maybe some time in the future.

Plus I LOVE driving the C4S on the track as well as the street.

Will post pics when done.

Quick Reply: Feedback on roll-bar decision!