Sponsored by:

Right reverse light not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 AM
copper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right reverse light not working

I posted this on a different forum but never really got an answer.

The right reverse light is not working. I switched bulbs right to left and still the same problem. So I know it is not the bulb.

I pulled the tail light out again. This time I pulled out all the metal tabs to make sure that they were making contact, notta. When I pushed on the back part (black rubber) of the light assemble the light turned on. When I released the black it turned off again. Is there a way that I can pull off the black part or do I just order a new assembly and splice it? Do I just pull off the black rubber and try to seal it again?

Here is the picture of the assemble. I know it is not the best picture.
Name:  download.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  180.2 KB
Old 02-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Is the right reverse light on a different fuse than the left? Often they are.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Kazual99
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you test with a meter and determine if the contacts are providing current? I would test two spots, the socket and the plug connection.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:44 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the exact same problem. The light would come on if I pressed on the back of the boot. It was under CPO so I took it in and they replaced the taillight wiring harness.

They showed me what had happened and a solder joint had broken under the rubber boot. They had just pulled the boot back to show me. You could easily repair it by resoldering and then putting the boot back in place. Maybe seal it with liquid electrical tape.

A new wiring harness is about $150 if I remember correctly.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:55 PM
copper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
I had the exact same problem. The light would come on if I pressed on the back of the boot. It was under CPO so I took it in and they replaced the taillight wiring harness.

They showed me what had happened and a solder joint had broken under the rubber boot. They had just pulled the boot back to show me. You could easily repair it by resoldering and then putting the boot back in place. Maybe seal it with liquid electrical tape.

A new wiring harness is about $150 if I remember correctly.
liquid electrical tape.. Hmm sounds good. That's what I was worried about resealing the boot.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Right reverse light not working