Sponsored by:

Over - Revs

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Over - Revs

I have this over rev report for a Cayman S that I decided not to buy. I've never read on Over Rev report before, can you tell me if this is good or bad so i have a point of reference.

Sorry for the bad quality, dealer said they could print it so they took a picture

thank you

G
Old 02-03-2012, 11:11 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No attachment????
Old 02-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,491 Likes on 819 Posts

No attachement, so I'll say this:

There are two types of over revs, forced and computer-limited (I forget the actual terms Porsche uses, I think they call them Type 1 and Type 2). A forced over rev is the bad one, that's where the engine is forced to spin beyond redline. This is usually caused by a missed shift (say, going into 2nd gear at 80mph when you meant to grab 4th). These kinds of over revs can damage or destroy the engine, hence why they are often called "money shifts".

The other kind is where the engine cuts fuel/spark to prevent the engine from going beyond the rev limiter (say, your 4 year old nephew is playing in the car and stands on the gas pedal, or you don't realize it's time to make that 2-3 shift). These kinds of over revs are nothing to worry about, the factory rev limiter is set several hundred RPM lower than the actual mechanical limits of the engine and it's not going to hurt anything.

Generally speaking, if the car has had a forced over rev or two and doesn't make any funny noises and drives fine, it's probably okay. The engines in these cars are pretty robust and if the over rev was bad enough to damage the engine, you would know it right away when the rod went through the block or the valves floated and high-fived the pistons.

Quick Reply: Over - Revs