Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dual duty seat options for 996 (GT3, ???)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:39 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dual duty seat options for 996 (GT3, ???)

What are good dual duty seats for the 996 aside from the GT3 Euro seats?

Some background...

After much consideration and budget discussions with the queen of the castle, I have decided that the C4S will be my primary track car (at least for now). I know this won't last forever and I may even regret it but it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done. Right?

It'll need to be tolerable on the street for now but I know I'll be losing my back seats.

Anyway...first up are seats and harnesses which from what I gather will require a roll bar to remain safe.

The GT3 seats make the most sense but it seems like every time I see a set they are fairly pricey.

I know there will be posts in this thread trying to talk me out of this decision but save your breath I am a very unreasonable person and likely won't listen
Old 02-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

Aside from GT3 seats? Depends a lot on your height, weight, budget, etc. I'm going to assume you want a fixed back seat since it will be for the track.

If you're on the smaller side (under 6', under 175 pounds), I'd check out Status seats. They're really nice, but a little on the narrow side for most people. Of course, there's also Sparco, Recaro, OMP, Cobra, Racetec, Bride, Corbeau and several other good seat manufacturers out there.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a GT3 driver's seat... and I daily drive it more than I track it... and love it!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Check out ROTtechcarbon.com they make some really nice seats and are quite affordable. Im considering the CGT reclinable seats. Headliner room with a helmet in the bucket GT3 style seats is limited for taller drivers. Unless you have no sunroof or you remove the seat cushion. Either way for a dual purpose car... Id prefer to be able to recline the seats.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:56 PM
dotframe
Pro

Thanks guys!

I've perused many of the common brand websites but real world feedback is priceless

I thought those rottec seats weren't certified by any organization that could prove they were actually safe. Is that true? I don't see any information on their site about safety.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dotframe
Thanks guys!

I've perused many of the common brand websites but real world feedback is priceless

I thought those rottec seats weren't certified by any organization that could prove they were actually safe. Is that true? I don't see any information on their site about safety.
Good question. Not sure how or if they are tested for safety. Im sure they have a response for that question...
Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I inquired one time as to why they were not certified. The come back was that the certification was very lengthy and expensive.

I have rep GT3 seats and use them for DE and keep the drivers seat in all the time. I'm 6'-2 215. I find the seats snug but comfortable.

Trending Topics

Old 02-02-2012, 02:22 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

the euro gt3 seats are pricey but if you keep your eyes open there are always some going for decent pricing. they are very comfortable on the street. And they provide a superb feel for the car, even on the street.

Only drawback is to get in and out of them, it is not very stylish but really worth the extra 10 seconds of your life
Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Rottech emailed me and explained that since the seats are sold in such limited numbers that they do not have an FIA approval currently. The rep said some guys on 6speed have posted about the seats and no one has had any type of failure.

Now, Im probably one of the more reckless guys on this forum.... but having some type of seat failure in a highspeed crash scares even me. Curious if any RL member can give thier impression of these seats. They do look to be very well made but I cannot comment on their structure or mounting brackets.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:13 PM
dotframe
Pro

It's not that I don't trust them....its just that I don't trust them

They look great but I would rather spend a little more money to know that my seats are safe.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:54 PM
cec3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Recaro Sportster CS (found used) in my 996 C2 and love 'em. I use 6-point Schroth/Brey Krause set-up for track and factory 3-point for street. They recline for street comfort and forward release for throwing stuff in back (including one track tire when I don't feel like trailering).
Old 02-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

True... the access to the rear seats is greatly limited... My passenger seat is still stock, so My kids can climb into the back that way. And when I go to the track, it's only a few minutes to put in the harness bar.

Quick Reply: Dual duty seat options for 996 (GT3, ???)