Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree about the windshield
Old 02-02-2012, 02:20 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by E in Phila
Sorry, but that window treatment is one of the worst mods I have ever seen on a car, and I've seen some bad ones.
I have seen that mod done in the past by german tuners, it looked really good, but you went a little extreme, you should cut the opening a little bigger, I think it is ok to have the surround but may be a little less of it
Old 02-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To each his own... I would of went matte black or blue, smoked corners instead and clear third light... none of that fake carbon... all one color. And normal windshield!

Cool how you went with no bumperettes!

Tints on the front windows would make it look cool too! But overall, good job on the DIY. I hope you took the time to do it correctly around each body panel and inserts/logo's etc...
Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice work.... better post the details quick... we are getting the itch. I would totally do my car matte black instead of repairing some rock chips on the fenders. where did you get the materials from?
Old 02-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
Nice work.... better post the details quick... we are getting the itch. I would totally do my car matte black instead of repairing some rock chips on the fenders. where did you get the materials from?
I was thinking the same thing for track use...I already have the front bumper clear wrapped which really helps.

-Shawn
Old 02-02-2012, 04:00 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Look what I found...

http://www.metrorestyling.com/ORACAL...teblk970ra.htm

My question is how do you tuck the vinyl under the door/window seals and the seals on the roof? I bet the rear deck lid is a challenge as well.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:06 PM
kent
Racer

Originally Posted by Tbred911
Love it! Great color choice and hood color contrast looks real sharp!!!

The front window is overkill though. Doesn't look right. iMHO
Thanks bro, i have to treat the windshield like that now, why? because there are two small cracks, one in the upside, another bigger one in the bottom, i am soursing the windshield replacment recently

Originally Posted by philooo
the windshield is SICK ! lol

I am really tempted to try this DIY

- Can you share with us, where you bought the wrapping and how much it cost ?
- Wouldn't it easier to wrap the bumper while still on the car, so it doesn't move around ?
- did you do it by yourself ? estimated number of hours for newbies ?

PS: what did you do to your rear bumper ? look like a DIY bumperette removal or something
i bought the 3M vinyl on ebay for $299 5fts x 30fts, i am buying 5ftsx5fts to cover the hood very soon.
for the front bumper, i think take it off to wrap is harder, but the results will be better due to the 3 big holes's edges in the turbo front bumper. plus, the front bumper will be suffer the most water, wind and dirt direct impact than other parts in the body.
i did it all by myself, about 12 hours work slowly at the beginning, but much faster after half done. anyone will learn some skills during the first few sections wrapping.
i deleted the bumperette, i think it was ugly to the car, just my opinion btw

Originally Posted by 2K3TTMIA
definitely a nice change. except for the Brinks truck front windshield, it looks like nice work. are you planning on changing the wheels or possibly tinting the side windows? it would be like a totally different car.
windows already tinted, i like the current wheels. i will also like to tint the front windshield with lightest color tint once i replace this cracked one next week.
Originally Posted by aaronazevedo
Kent! Nice job!!!

All, I had the treat of seeing Kent's car first hand when it was like 1/2 way done. Super nice and very clean. I'm waiting the details like the rest of you. I like it.

Aaron
Thanks Aaron. you are the only one who saw it half done
Originally Posted by dotframe
i really like it...except for the windshield. I really don't like that

Great job mine would not look anything like that if I tried.
+1 for the windshield.

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Wow, for a DIY project those look like pretty good results. I'm definitely interested in hearing how difficult it was.

PS--I'm with the rest of the people. The windshield is a) too much and b) not very safe.
the difficulty of this job would be 3 out of 10, i like to do the wrap more than replace the water pump.
you can redo again and again, the 3M vinyl is hard to break.

Originally Posted by speed rII
Nice!

Post some pics doors open.
will soon.

Originally Posted by Van
Yeah, we'd love to hear about your technique. Also, did you trim around the engine lid logo? Or remove it for the wrap?
i took the emblem off the hood. it does not have good result with the emblem on the hood to wrap the hood.

Originally Posted by E in Phila
Sorry, but that window treatment is one of the worst mods I have ever seen on a car, and I've seen some bad ones.
+1, but now i think it is better than those two cracks visible.

Originally Posted by Barn996
Inquiring minds want to know...how difficult is the wrapping process. Like the body wrap.
see above.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:15 PM
kent
Racer

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
Cool how you went with no bumperettes!

i just deleted the 2 bumperettes.

ebay

Look what I found...

http://www.metrorestyling.com/ORACAL...teblk970ra.htm

My question is how do you tuck the vinyl under the door/window seals and the seals on the roof? I bet the rear deck lid is a challenge as well.
you just insert the extra vinyle(something like 1cm) inside the flexble plastic seals.
the deck lid is not hard at all, you just use the heat gun and treat every line one by one., then you are done.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That looks very clean. I had no idea something like that was actually available. How much time did it take and how durable is it ?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I just don't bloody believe it. It looks like ****. WHY??????????????????????????????????????????
Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 PM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Looks great....very nice job on the install. What do you expect for general washing, cleaning and maintenance? How would you expect to deal with things like road tar or finger prints? Will rock chips in the vinyl be an issue?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 PM
RPMulli
Banned

kent, did you have to prep the surface of the paint at all? Also, how did you manage to work the vinyl around the rear deck lid emblem?

Gentlemen, I will be doing this DIY this spring/summer! Not sure what color yet, matte black?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:03 PM
kent
Racer

Originally Posted by FLY996
Looks great....very nice job on the install. What do you expect for general washing, cleaning and maintenance? How would you expect to deal with things like road tar or finger prints? Will rock chips in the vinyl be an issue?
I have other car with roof and hood wrapped with similar vinyl, after one year I found out there is not peoblem regarding the wash and cleaning or finger prints.
kent, did you have to prep the surface of the paint at all? Also, how did you manage to work the vinyl around the rear deck lid emblem?

Gentlemen, I will be doing this DIY this spring/summer! Not sure what color yet, matte black?
i just tried my best to clean the paint surface. for the rear deck lid emblem, it was so easy to take them off, i can not believe porsche just use double tape to attach those emblems on the surface of the paint.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:10 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Last questions, How about the pictures of door jambs? What did you use to trim the edges of the vinyl without accidentally hitting the paint? Exacto knife?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:48 AM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

looks awesome...i did the hood on my friend's 928 with the stuff, and it was a bit of a pain, but end result looked good..

impressed with the initiative to take this on on your own...

Quick Reply: The best mod i did---matte grey wrap DIY, lots of pics