Sponsored by:

"Budget" upgrades for Bose system

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,486 Likes on 817 Posts
Default "Budget" upgrades for Bose system

I know many iterations of this topic have been covered a million times, but I wasn't able to find any information for my specific question.

In the Audi world, a popular easy/inexpensive upgrade for people with the Bose systems in their car was to swap out the crappy Bose door speakers with the Infinity 4022i because they are a 35w 2ohm speaker, which was a perfect match for the factory Bose system and amplifier.

Which leads me to my main question: is the Bose system in the 996 a 2ohm system as well?

Also, what are the wattage ratings for it? My car is an '02 with the "premium" Bose system with the subwoofers mounted behind the back seats if that matters.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

And now that I look around even more, I'm not even able to find reliable information about what the sizes of the 27 speakers in this car are. Anyone got a break down of all the speaker sizes?
Old 02-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

No one?
Old 02-03-2012, 05:01 AM
Zapna
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do remember seeing a chart that someone had posted either here or on Renn Tech that showed the impedances of all of the speakers in the Bose system, but I don't remember the sizes being listed. I was looking for other info at the time, so I didn't pay close attention. I have not mastered the art of effective forum searches, otherwise I would try to re-find the post for you! But it is out there.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:19 PM
RTSC4S
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Concerning the speaker impedences for Bose amps. Removed dash components in my 04 996 with Bose. They are a 1" tweet and 4" mid both 4ohm(actually measured3.5 but that's within tolerance for being a 4...could also be a 3 ohm but I doubt it cause that would cost more. Remember 996 were the"cheap" 911's. Love mine btw!
At any rate they are run in parallel and therefore send the amp a 1.75 or 2ohm load. This causes amp to put out most power. Front door is a woofer(6.5 I think) so most likely a 2ohm. Infinity/JBL makec2ohm speakers for this purpose. Still most budget way to upgrade. Shops won't help cause they want to sell full systems. If it doesn't sound to your liking take them out and put factory back in. They don't sound horrible anyway. Unny thing is the speakers are made in Germany not China...hmmm

Quick Reply: "Budget" upgrades for Bose system