Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:37 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Some battery choices:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...t-battery.html
I prefer AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) Gel type batteries
I replaced an Interstate MTP-H7 With a Braille 7548 AGM battery direct replacement.

Braille AGM B7548 battery group 48
BCI Group: [?]Group 48
Length:10.9" (277mm)
Width:6.8" (173mm)
Height (without posts):7.5" (191mm)

http://www.braillebattery.com/index....tteries/b7548#

Interstate sizes that fit 2003 996

Group Interstate number Dimensions L x W x H Posts
48 MTP-H6 10-15/16 x 6-7/8 x 7-1/5 Top
94R MTP-H7 12-3/8 x 6-7/8 x 7-1/5 Top
49 MTP-H8 13-15/16 x 6-7/8 x 7-1/5 Top
Old 01-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter 642
Ya; wasn't mine prior to last year, but 5-6 years is end-of-lifespan for any battery at best.
Am I foolish to head to the dealer for this? Was going to get annual maintenance done where I bought it. I like/trust them; they service a far, far nicer cadre of cars than mine own.
Including a 356 of much worth. Plus I get the loaner Cayenne/Panamera for the week
"Am I foolish to head to the dealer for this?"

Opinions and experiences vary.

My opinion/experience is no you are not foolish.

When my 02 Boxster's original battery failed I bought the replacement battery at the dealer and changed it myself, then took the old battery back to the dealer.

When my Turbo's battery turned up weak and needing replacement I had this done at the dealer. Because I have my cars serviced there the battery was discounted and I think I got a break on the labor.

Additionally the tech hooks up shop battery power to the car *before* the old battery is removed so all the comfort settings are retained.

After the battery swap no need to reset the power seat settings, the radio buttons, the window limits, the E-Gas calibration, etc.

Oh, I didn't know it at the time but shortly after this I was traveling with the car and needed tires and ended up at another dealer for tires.

The tech after replacing the tires did an inspection of the car even removing the battery cover and the panels on either side. He told me he had never seen this area of a car so clean before.

The next time I was at the first dealer I talked to the tech that replaced the battery. Long story short he told me he cleaned the area ahead of the cowling. I gave him a big thank you and praised him in front of his manager and the general manager for his excellent work.

Anyhow, if one is replacing batteries often then it might make sense to shop around and hope a lower cost place will do as good a job.

OTOH, I've owned my Boxster since 02 and my Turbo since 09 and have only had to replace the Boxster's battery once (after over 7 years of service) and the Turbo's battery once (I do not know how old the battery was when I bought the car but I do know the car was not used much and the battery probably suffered an early demise because of this) so having the dealer do a battery R&R every 5 years on average is not worth the bother of seeking out indy to do the work.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Comfort in heading to the dealer. Definitely not an IMS retrofit, and I certainly have changed many batteries in my day, but it's due for service and I trust this particular shop. I do have indy shops, but none that loan me another Porsche, or any car for that matter, while it's there. My adventure to a local indy that I would bet is quite good also resulted in scuffed rims on my last Porsche.

Was able to charge overnight and started up this evening. Off to service.

Quick Reply: Immobilized?