Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Adjacent car door opens and hits you ... best practices?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

An armed high speed pursuit is always an option:

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...body-shop.html
Old 01-25-2012, 08:10 AM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar situation but unfortunately wasn't there when the person dinged my door in a Lowes parking lot(not in my P-car). I called the police and the officer essentially said "that's why I carry no deductable insurance". This seemed to be somewhat as a prophetic statement when I was surprised that insurance companies consider this falling under your collision deductable and not your comprehensive deductable.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So now the only question becomes: If the passenger dings your door and they don't have insurance/insurance card, what to do? (perhaps a question for a lawyer)
Old 02-03-2012, 05:15 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Surely some dings are removable by PDR? They are not that expensive, over here it's NZD100 + tax per panel, that's about $70 US.

About parking, I park as far away as possible from the vehicle next to mine. First to choose a space that:
- has a wall on one side (better if it's isolated - walls on both sides)
- next to a vehicle that's unlikely to be driven out while you're parked next to it. Company vehicles left for the weekend.

If this is not possible then choose an empty spot where the vehicle(s) next to you is unlikely to have its door opened i.e. passenger side. Also avoid vehicles where the owners carry their children or babies. Even their strollers can rest against your freshly painted and waxed bumper.

The most important thing is to assess whether the place you're going to will have a perfect parking spot for your baby (P-car not real babies). If not, take your other car.

Quick Reply: Adjacent car door opens and hits you ... best practices?