Sponsored by:

Transmission Rebuild Shops?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:28 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Transmission Rebuild Shops?

Gonna take the trans out this w/e and still trying to decide on a shop for the rebuild. I'd like find a GOOD local shop to save on shipping costs ($200ish each way). If I can't, I'll send it in to CMS (California Motorsports Inc.), I've talked to them and they've got my vote of confidence.

So, any of you So. Cal. folks have any good/bad news on the following shops? There's nothing in San Diego, an hour or two North looks to be the closest shops.

Vision Motorsports
Laguna Hills

Hergesheimer Motorsports
Lake Forest

GMG (Global motorsports group)
Santa Ana

Stuttgart Performance
Costa Mesa
Old 01-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you considered Performance Independent Porsche, Fairmount Ave., San Diego? I had an SC transmission replaced there in the late '90s, great work, very reasonable. I see they are still in business, same owner (Mark), still getting positive reviews. GL
Old 01-24-2012, 02:07 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark I
Have you considered Performance Independent Porsche, Fairmount Ave., San Diego? I had an SC transmission replaced there in the late '90s, great work, very reasonable. I see they are still in business, same owner (Mark), still getting positive reviews. GL
I'll give them a call, thanks for the tip.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Call Dwain at Vision and chat with him. I believe, but am not certain, that both he and Herg send their boxes to California Motorsports.

Do not know if your one off pricing will be better or worse than going through Vision, but I suspect that using a local race shop to manage the timing may help the process along and give you better recourse if anything goes wrong.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Transmission Rebuild Shops?