Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS considerations for 02 C4S with a newer engine.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012 | 07:52 PM
silvergray951
Instructor

Question IMS considerations for 02 C4S with a newer engine.

Hi:
Having been gone from the Porsche fold for too long (several years since selling my 951), I'm launching my search for a C4S
I have seen a nice one advertised for sale which prompted a few questions. The car is a 2002 but the engine failed in 2007 (due to an IMS failure) and it was replaced by the dealer, under warranty.
Would this replacement engine be new enough that the IMS weaknesses are not a consideration for this car? Had Porsche improved the design of replacement engines by then?
If not, can I still install the LN IMS Upgrade kit (I believe that this can only be installed on engines up to 2004?)
Thanks for help on this issue,
Michael
Old 01-18-2012 | 08:21 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Ironically I was just speaking a Porsche salesman abou this very issue; from what he told me, the IMS and RMS issues weren't addressed until 2007. So, he said in all likelyhood they replaced it with a stock motor with the same potential as any other 1999-07 motor.

Personally, I think these issues (as serious as they are) are over-blown. There are LOTS of cars out there that have never had either issue. Of course I realize that's easy for me to say because not only have I never had to deal with the issue, I've never had a 996.

You better hurry, I'm trying hard to get thigns in order to ****** that C4s up too!!!
Old 01-18-2012 | 08:43 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

A replacement (Porsche refurb) engine may not be compatable to an LN IMS Replacement/Upgrade (too a large bearing to be extracted without cracking the case) upgrade, but may still be vunerable to IMS failure.
Old 01-18-2012 | 09:34 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

The IMS issue is not "dealt with" until the DFI engine in 2009. The larger IMS bearing Porsche started installing in 2006 is only as strong as the original dual row, and still susceptible to failure.

edit: no, you cannot retrofit an LNE bearing without nearly complete engine tear down, but if you want to be sure, post the engine serial number for a best guess.

The RMS issue was dealt with via the PTFE seal, available for many many many many years now. Unless of course you are one of the unlucky few with a chronic RMS leak due to out of round cases.

Sincerely,

Broken Record

Last edited by logray; 01-18-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2012 | 09:44 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Cool

Originally Posted by Mickey356
Ironically I was just speaking a Porsche salesman abou this very issue; from what he told me, the IMS and RMS issues weren't addressed until 2007. So, he said in all likelyhood they replaced it with a stock motor with the same potential as any other 1999-07 motor.

Personally, I think these issues (as serious as they are) are over-blown. There are LOTS of cars out there that have never had either issue. Of course I realize that's easy for me to say because not only have I never had to deal with the issue, I've never had a 996.

You better hurry, I'm trying hard to get thigns in order to ****** that C4s up too!!!
+1
Old 01-18-2012 | 10:09 PM
street rod
Drifting

The good news is the larger bearing in the car you are looking at, along with the duel row are generally considered more reliable. If its a well sorted car with a good maintenance and owner history, along with a successful PPI, then its worthy of serious consideration.
Old 01-18-2012 | 11:03 PM
silvergray951
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mickey356
Oh snap
Don't rush on my account - I'm weeks away from being ready to make an offer on any car (I was hoping this one might have lasted till then though).

Thanks for the opinions all!

Cheers,
Michael
Old 01-19-2012 | 12:30 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by logray
The IMS issue is not "dealt with" until the DFI engine in 2009. The larger IMS bearing Porsche started installing in 2006 is only as strong as the original dual row, and still susceptible to failure.

edit: no, you cannot retrofit an LNE bearing without nearly complete engine tear down, but if you want to be sure, post the engine serial number for a best guess.

The RMS issue was dealt with via the PTFE seal, available for many many many many years now. Unless of course you are one of the unlucky few with a chronic RMS leak due to out of round cases.

Sincerely,

Broken Record
+1 BUT...

I bought a car with 70K miles on the clock 3 years ago which had its engine replaced at 40K miles in 2005 (although not because the IMS failed).

The car now has 115K miles....so the engine has done a total of 75k miles.

I just changed the oil and cut open the filter to look for ferrous debris and...nothin' - clean as a whistle.

The car runs like a top. It's been a dream car to own and I don't lose any sleep whatsoever.

When I finally do need a clutch (so far it's holding up great) I'll replace the IMS *if* it is the small nut setup indicating the old style IMS bearing. If it's the big nut, then it's the new style and a replacement won't be possible.

But I wont worry even a bit if that's the case.

I'm planning to put 200K miles on this engine...at least.
Old 01-19-2012 | 01:02 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Ditto, don't let the IMS bearing steer anyone away from a purchase.
Old 01-19-2012 | 03:29 AM
Philip P
Racer

Took me awhile to get over the whole IMS thing. I got an IMS Guardian as the best line of defense besides keeping an eye on your oil when doing changes. And now I just rock and roll... the best car i've ever owned.
Old 01-19-2012 | 09:31 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Reman engine installed by the dealer in 2007 sounds mighty nice! I wouldn't hesitate on that!

Quick Reply: IMS considerations for 02 C4S with a newer engine.