996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2003 rebuilt engine, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Hermdog
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 rebuilt engine, good or bad?

I just purchased a 2003 911 Cabriolet with 35k miles on it. It seems to be in fine condition other than the top is bit worn. I took it to the local Porsche dealer and they told me that the engine appears to be factory rebuilt because its so absolutely clean. I have 5 days to return the car if I like and I am wanting some perspective on if this is a good or a bad thing. Why would a care need a rebuilt engine with 35k miles on it? The service guy told me it was a good thing because its a brand new engine, but I am wondering why it was needed. Also, I have taken it out for a good drive in the mountains where I rev'd it to over 6000. If the engine is brand new, did I mess it up with no proper break in?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:43 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 266 Likes on 181 Posts

New factory engine is not a bad thing IMO. Can you talk to the previous owner and find out when the engine was installed and by who?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Was a PPI (PrePurchase Inspection) done?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Could be bad if it's rebuilt with a 997 IMS that can't be retrofitted
Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had rebuild on 2002 C2 it was great. You will end up with the latest specs and the engine has a lot less miles on it. The DME will some running hours. Engines were replace do to chronic RMS leaks. The original motor had to had 4 attempts before PCNA would approval a new engine. At least that is how it was for the 2002 model. I have mine replaced in early 2004. It was all good when I went to GT3.
Had my P4S motor replaced a month after I got a year ago May. Everything is fine. all that said if you are nervous you can take it back or you can tell the seller you want to return it because they did not disclose the "non matching motor". Maybe they will compensate you? Worth a try.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Hermdog
Track Day

I bought it through Carmax so I can not talk to the previous owner but I can return it within 5 days of the purchase. All I know was that it was leased originally and had a 2nd owner. The body does not have a scratch on it. So I do not think it was in an accident. Carfax said no accidents. Its weird how the car is immaculate but the top has been neglected (stains, partially power washed). If the rebuilt engine is cool, then i am probably good to go with it. It drives great. What is the 'DME' Roberga? Thanks for the help fellas.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Partsguy
Instructor

What does the carfax say about the service history? I have seen a few that say 'engine removed to complete repair' when an engine had been replaced. You can also try calling the dealer(s) listed as servicing the car. If it says 'engine removed to complete repair' that's the one to call.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:25 AM
Hermdog
Track Day

Where would I find the dealers who serviced the car?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermdog
Where would I find the dealers who serviced the car?
Request the local Porsche dealer you visited to run the VIN.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:58 AM
street rod
Drifting

Received 266 Likes on 181 Posts

Did the porsche dealer do an inspection of the entire car? If so that should answer your questions of any issues. If not do it. I guess in your case PPI would mean Post Purchase Inspection.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Hermdog
Track Day

Its at the dealer right now. They did the inspection today and thats when they told me about the engine rebuild.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Hermdog
Track Day

When the serve advisor pulled up the car on the computer, he said that there was no information on the vehicle. He could not explain why and said it was strange and had never seen that before.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds strange to me. I believe their are markings on the engine that identify it as a rebuilt or not. WHy would he just say oh it appears to be a new engine, the computer says nothing about the car, why no car fax of an rngine change? Maybe the car was raced then the original engine was put back in or a side deal with a certain dealer to fix the car off the books since it was a tramatic accident? Who knows. Can't see my service department man saying I think its new instead of showing me the numbers identifying it as a factory rebuilt. Strange stuff. Wanna look at my factory rebuilt and see if its the same look. Even the alternator wiring sn such are sparkling clean. When I got the car with the old engine it was detailed in the engine compartment and looked very new but now a real factory rebuilt looks super new. Even the alternator case shines.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:29 AM
Hermdog
Track Day

I totally agree with you Pac. I think its very strange. I am hoping get to the bottom of this by Wed or I will consider returning the car.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:07 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I for one would rather buy a car with a new engine, especially if it was done by Porsche. It's possible there would be other benefits too, like more warranty time on it? Not sure... anyways.

Post the serial number of the engine, we will be able to tell you what it is and whether the story lines up. Optionally you can post your VIN too, or PM it to me.

The serial number is located on the bottom of the engine on the side of the oil pan (sorta behind the drivers rear wheel).

Very easy to get to, and with such a clean engine I doubt you would need to clean the stamped serial plate off.

Should be something like.

M96xx/xx292323

Quick Reply: 2003 rebuilt engine, good or bad?