Sponsored by:

Thinking of attending the 2012 Rolex 24 at Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:28 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Thinking of attending the 2012 Rolex 24 at Daytona

Thinking of attending the 2012 Rolex 24 at Daytona.
Any tips? Would be my first time.

I am looking at the "Champion's club tickets" look like the best compromise price vs. what you get plus good incase it rains. Any discount codes floating around?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:00 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tips:
>Arrive at track about 2 hours prior to start on race day.
>Definitely get a garage pass.
>Leave track around dinner time...get some decent food somewhere...return for night racing action.
>Definitely return for the finishing hours on Sunday.

If a PCA member, contact Florida Crown Region about Porsche Corral parking, hospitality, etc.

relinuca
Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Daytona Rolex 24 Primer

Brumos Porsche is offering tickets for the event as part of their Brumos Boosters Brigade annual deal for $159.00 per person. Call Tina in the Brumos Porsche Service Department to order. Includes Sat/Sunday access to their Start/Finish Line Tower Suit with food and beverages and tchotchkies, free parking which includes free shuttle back and forth to the infield, breakfast Sunday morning at the Champions Club, access to the garages, etc. etc. Call Tina for all the details. They will take your credit card over the phone.

If you want to park in the infield, the Porsche Club of America hosts a PORSCHE ONLY paddock parking area in the infield at "The Kink." You do not need to be a PCA member but you MUST be driving a Porsche at that moment to park there, even if you are a member. PORSCHES ONLY. No exceptions, except for the food and beverage delivery vehicle. No extra charge once you have paid to park in the infield. And it fills up very early on Friday and Saturday morning, so be at the track NLT about 8:00AM Sat if you want to get a spot. The paddock has a large tent, tables and chairs, free snacks and drinks, closed circuit TV of the race, and most of the PCA National Staff will be there on Friday and Saturday, and also get visits from time-to-time throughout the weekend from Porsche AG folks.

The infield is already completely SOLD OUT for campers, RV's, and busses. There is almost no space left in the infield for general parking anymore. And just because you have paid for an infield parking pass does not mean the DIS gate guards will let you into the infield once it fills up. If you do not bring your own food and drinks bring LOTS of MONEY. Getting OUT of the track on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon is almost as hard as getting in. And just because you got in on Saturday morning, doesn't mean they will let you back in later if you decide you somehow NEED to eat lunch or whatever outside the track and then return.

Friday is my favorite day because all of the teams are still there, all of the drivers are smiling and pressing the flesh with everyone, you can access the garages. there are practice sessions and qualifying going on, a couple support races (the Continental Tire racing groups), and all of the infield concessions and vendors are open for business. On Saturday it is all about focusing on the business, and the folks in the garages are far less likely to stop and chat with you.

Daytona is 350 miles north of Miami. In late January IT IS NOT MIAMI WEATHER! It can be freezing cold and wet, and often is. Dress VERY warmly, layered in case the Sun takes over the weather and skies, bring rain gear, bathrooms are everywhere. Bring your best walking shoes and spare shoes and socks in case your feet get wet.
The ocean along Daytona is not particularly warm in late January so you WILL have the beaches pretty much to yourself. Daytona is the last large public place in Florida where you can still drive onto the beaches. There will be plenty of available hotels on the ocean front as this particular race does not fill the city like the Daytona 500 or Bike Week or Spring Break.

Whatever you decide, it is worth every penny to be there every moment of the weekend. It is one of the Greatest Shows on Earth.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:10 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking of attending too since I spend several days per month in the SRQ area. I'm not sure if its much fun going by myself though.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:46 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This is always a fun weekend event. You can wander the pits and garage, meet the drivers and watch some good track stuff and is cheap at $15.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ate-confirmed/
Old 12-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by jimq
This is always a fun weekend event. You can wander the pits and garage, meet the drivers and watch some good track stuff and is cheap at $15.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ate-confirmed/
The link you provided is a very good one to an excellent event. However, just to clarify for others, it is not for the actual Rolex 24. The link talks about the two days of practice the first weekend in January. I will be at that event as well because you are correct that it provides extremely good value. It also will give those within driving distance a chance to get the lay of the land at the track, see how the infield entrance tunnels work, and a chance to buy tickets (except the Brumos tickets - which are only available directly from Brumos). If you can't make the main event at the end of January, the Roar Before the 24 is a nice alternative.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
I'm thinking of attending too since I spend several days per month in the SRQ area. I'm not sure if its much fun going by myself though.
Look me up if you will be there by yourself. I'll be attending the race with my brother and your welcome to hang out with us a bit if you'd like. Also, there will be a PCA hospitality tent set up in the infield so there will not be a shortage of Pcar guys to hang out with.

The 2012 race, the 50th anniv. race, should be excellent with the largest field in recent history as well as a 50th anniv. tribute tent displaying previous winning cars, drivers, etc.

BTW, I have a similar thread on the Racing forum for those who are interested.

Trending Topics

Old 12-31-2011, 07:31 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, will do.

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Look me up if you will be there by yourself. I'll be attending the race with my brother and your welcome to hang out with us a bit if you'd like. Also, there will be a PCA hospitality tent set up in the infield so there will not be a shortage of Pcar guys to hang out with.

The 2012 race, the 50th anniv. race, should be excellent with the largest field in recent history as well as a 50th anniv. tribute tent displaying previous winning cars, drivers, etc.

BTW, I have a similar thread on the Racing forum for those who are interested.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't do Proto turd's. Wait for real race cars at Sebring.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Don't do Proto turd's. Wait for real race cars at Sebring.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
It's reality. The Nascaration / emasculation of sports car racing. But if it's what you like, have fun supporting the France family's master plan.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:24 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The Rolex24 offers more than Daytona Prototypes, which I agree look like a door stop and sound like NASCAR stockers---but I still like them, like the various GT class racers where P-cars are always well represented.

Plus this race is about the only "Big Time Race" on the calendar where you have access to the garage areas to see up close an array of raceware, and race engineers/technicians doing their thing...best $15 you'll ever spend.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool More info about the Roar and the 24.

More info about the Roar and the 24. Updated today by GrandAm.

http://www.grand-am.com/news/index.c...es=r&cid=50980
Old 01-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Turtletime
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
Thinking of attending the 2012 Rolex 24 at Daytona.
Any tips? Would be my first time.

I am looking at the "Champion's club tickets" look like the best compromise price vs. what you get plus good incase it rains. Any discount codes floating around?
I only see "Ultimate Endurance Package" tickets on the Daytona speedway web site. Is this the same or are Champion tickets available through some other ticket site?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:40 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like Porsche has package for $300.00:
https://www.porscheracingusa.com/?id=daytona

The Brumos Brigade package is $159.00

http://www.brumosporsche.com/news/in.../article/1301/

Quick Reply: Thinking of attending the 2012 Rolex 24 at Daytona