RHD to LHD conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 06:05 AM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RHD to LHD conversion?

Hi guys,

Maybe a stupid question, but what are x-mas spare time without crazy thoughts....

I have an opportunity to buy a 996 turbo at a seriously good price. Practically a steal without being stolen, if you know what I mean.

There is a major downside, though: it is a right hand drive car! And I am not interested in driving on the wrong side.

Question is if it would be possible to convert it to left hand drive? I know that on early cars it is a real pain including cutting and welding in the unibody. Are the 996 equally difficult to convert? Because that would be a deal breaker.

The parts themself are readily available, both here and in the US, meaning dash boards, cluster, streering parts and so on.

Any thoughts from someone who maybe have tried?

Thanks,

Johan
Old 12-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know the conversion answer, but I'd think it would be cool to drive as is, plus you could also deliver the mail.
The following users liked this post:
sdematt (02-29-2024)
Old 12-26-2011, 09:27 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy it and "flip" it to someone in England.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:44 AM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, not the answers I was looking for but anyway....

I want it to drive with, it has a great color combo, and has many extras. And it doesnt work as-is, evey overtaking is a near-death experience....

Anyone else that know anything around conversion?

Thanks

Johan
Old 12-26-2011, 01:49 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

This might work.
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2011, 02:15 PM
hopeydaze
8th Gear

Older 996s are now seriously cheap in the UK so I can see a number of these RHD vehicles going to the US and the rest of Europe. Presonally I woudn't worry which side I drive on.

When I moved back to the UK from the US 10 years ago I took a LHD vehicle back with me so I regularly switch sides with no issues at all.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Buy it, ship to europe, sell it for good market, buy left hand drive car here. Conversion complete. Is this doctor shaheems car from ugandi? And he needs to sell car fast as to money hide can you help?
Old 12-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't exactly the answer you're looking for but I hope it's helpful. I just bought a 996 from a guy who moved from San Francisco back to the UK. He was looking into converting it from LHD to RHD but ultimately determined that the costs just weren't justifiable. I don't know whether he was looking to have the conversion work done in the US or the UK (likely the UK) but the costs must have been pretty significant if he walked away from the project since he really loved the car.

-Eric
Old 12-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

the costs would be stupid and idiotic
Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ditto

The base dashboard and retaining frame alone are $4000.

Mind you, that doesn't include trim, binnacle housing, steering linkage, etc. etc. etc.

I would guess somewhere in the $15k-20k range DIY.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:09 PM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Hi,

there are ordinary 996 parts cars available from 5 k and up, complete but without engines. The wrenching is my hobby, so I am not that concerned about the amount of work if it is limited to replacing dash, dash frame, steering column, pedal cluster, and so on. If it includes cutting and welding in the body structure, I am not interested. That is too dangerous and will significantly hurt the resale value.

Thanks,

Johan
Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

I really don't know enough about the turbo to make accurate comments.

But at least on the 996 NA it would be a nightmare to say the least.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Find a few pictures of "bare metal" 911 bodies. You will see that the dash board metal with the binnacle is a single piece with the frame under the windshield. Think about that for just a minute... You would need to completely replace that whole section.

Oh, and the forward floor board metal work is specific to the left hand or right hand to accomodate the peddles. And the steering system would have to be completely moved - not just the all sheetmetal on the forward firewall, but also the entire steering rack and pinion, and how it connects to the struts. The list goes on.
The driver seat system and the passenger seat system are not the same. And you can't just switch the seats. They might slide onto the rails but the controls would be jammed against the console... and the parking brake would then need a new console and work to switch sides.

And just finding another body... it HAS to be another TURBO body...

Geesh. Just keep looking.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:43 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

If you can find a roller for 5k why not just transfer the engine and gearbox?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 AM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Hi guys,

So I decided to do what I should have done from the beginning; calling a Porsche dismantler. They walked me through the job needed and yes, it is too much work. For future reference, the dealbreaker is the "hump" under the front hood, where the brake booster is located. That hump is unique for LHD and RHD cars respectively, since the pedal cluster needs to be swapped out. Meaning, there seems cutting and welding is needed, and that would hurt resale value too much.

There are other obstacles as well, like differences in wiring harness, and so on. From what I understand there is no need to swap out the seats, but the memory buttons and seat wiring harness has to be swapped. All these parts plus the dash is pretty straight-forward to swap.

I also anticipate that the steering rack and pinion is unique for the turbo, which will make it quite expensive. So, this not straight-forward....

It would sure be a fun project, but dont think I could do it under 12 k in parts and 150 hours of own labor. That would make my other projects suffer too much!

This particular car is 31000 USD cheaper than the cheapest 996 Turbo on the swedish market, and 38000 USD cheaper than the average car. I know this is har for you US guys to understand, since a turbo can be bought for 31-38 k in the US.

Logray, That is a fun idea, but from what I undertand that is too much work. The last guy asking that question here was also shot down. And, the resale value would be next to nothing, plus the fact that my 996 donor was a convertible would make it even less desirable.

Regards,

Johan

Quick Reply: RHD to LHD conversion?