Sponsored by:

Interior decorating

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior decorating

After driving today to and from work, I'm realizing that despite the car belonging to me, it doesn't feel like mine. Rather than quickly get over my head in real mods, I'm thinking the classy grey interior could use a freshen-up, without going overboard. Pic below; if you've got ideas, or better, pics of your interiors (grey on grey modifications specifically appreciated) can you post 'em? I'm thinking of starting with repainting the center console black, ashtray delete, and picking up a newer (nicer) e-brake and shifter.

Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2011, 09:56 PM
aaronazevedo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see what you end up going with. I'm looking at a 996 with the same interior - and as classy as it is, it's somewhat plain? I'm with you...it needs something.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:03 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

A simple first step is to dump the CD holder and replace with an upper shelf, then Aluminum cluster rings.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:07 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What color exterior? Black? Pics for contrast ideas.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Peter 642
Racer

A simple first step is to dump the CD holder and replace with an upper shelf, then Aluminum cluster rings.
Oddly enough I use the CD holder, often. I keep squinting to try to see if I want the rings, but I'm not sure I do. The gauges are also (unfortunately) grey; whole interior matches.

Few notables on those pics (thanks Charles): all have upgraded from the stock shifter, which I'd like to do, as well as the e-brake. They've also all upgraded the steering wheel, which adds nice contrast as well. And is that a cell phone? A real cell phone?

Exterior is midnight blue. To get some of that dark blue in to the interior would be quite cool.
I also like the shiny silver center console in the last pic. Definitely adds a ton.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:44 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the exact same gray interior. Very boring and I was driving it today mulling over all the changes you mention. Looking forward to hearing about what you do. If you find good sources/ prices for the e brake handle and shifter post it up.

One guy here had the seal gray exterior which is slightly darker than this interior and he painted the center console and surround around the stereo this color. Was subtle and looked good. Maybe you can find his pics by searching.

I have also thought of getting black mats with a silver Carrera 4 logo. The gray mats just intensify th blandness of this interior.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:15 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Your plain grey instruments were an option costing I believe about $700, cherish them;-)

The aluminum gauge rings will really be a nice focal point. The instrument surround panel and center console could be painted Midnight Blue. Get a carbon fiber shifter and brake handle. You could use some dark Metropol Blue floor carpets that look almost black. Aluminum pedals would look good too. Door panel handles and pocket lids would look good in Metropol Blue as well and while your at it the dash strips in blue too.

If you really want to get serious look for some grey sports seats and paint the hard backs your body color. Doing the above is an idea that will make the car different and providing you like it, more personal and really not that expensive.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:19 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

These...functional and good looks....

Old 12-23-2011, 12:20 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

Somebody mentioned floor mats... I've got a set of Coco Mats that have a "... polka dot" pattern on them and look really nice. My car has the black interior so I got the black mats with the white dots. I looks really cool, and classy. Plus, they are durable as hell and save your carpet mats. (I've had a 4 sets over the years and they never wore out). I'd give them a look.

With a grey interior, black mats and grey dots would look great...

I've had my 2003 since 2005 and am planning on a refurb when I hit 200k miles. I will probably paint the console and bezels and may look into the shift **** and hand brake lever as well. Probably gloss black to match the body color. To my eye, that pulls the body color into the car.

My 2 cents.

Take it easy and happy holidays.

JKC
Old 12-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I added a Pioneer avic x930bt System with Nav, Sirius/XM, Bluetooth, etc and modified the console for a more updated look on my MY03 Cab. I always thought the cd holders really dated the car. The configuration is more user friendly especially with a 5-spd. The open "pocket" is great for sunglasses, phone, etc.

I also ordered new floor mats, black with PORSCHE in Red to match my interior red accents.
Attached Images   
Old 12-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Really looks nice. Great suggestions. Thinking now between using the black that's already in there and going with black accents for center console, shifter and e-brake, or two other options would be (a) aluminum look for gauges, center console and door handles or (b) painted center console from BumperPlugs in midnight blue. I'm thinking black might be best because it's what I have to work with, already have a bit of contrast there, and could outfit a new steering wheel with black/grey leather.

What I'd love to do would be, similar to Charles' last pic that looks strikingly like my interior in grey, instead of aluminum go either midnight blue or black, accenting the gauge surround, stereo surround, steering wheel, and center console, then get new shifter/e-brake in black/silver. That's gotta get costly though.

Let's see those painted center consoles and stereo surrounds!
Old 12-23-2011, 04:29 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Painted center console, aluminum trim rings, coco mats that use the blue and gray, and a carbon fiber shifter and matching handbrake. That should do it.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Steve2112
Racer

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
I added a Pioneer avic x930bt System with Nav, Sirius/XM, Bluetooth, etc.
How did the install go with the Pioneer unit? Was there a lot of custom stuff they/you had to do because of the Porsche (CAN BUS??) audio setup? Did you keep the factory speakers?

I wanted to do something like this, but thought it might be difficult.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Heres mine!
Attached Images         
Old 12-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve2112
How did the install go with the Pioneer unit? Was there a lot of custom stuff they/you had to do because of the Porsche (CAN BUS??) audio setup? Did you keep the factory speakers?

I wanted to do something like this, but thought it might be difficult.
Steve:

I had the install done by a car audio shop. I upgraded all the speakers by choice, but it turned out the existing subs were trouble because of the fiber optic connection to the existing amp. Any new system you add to 996's MY03 or later will have the same problem. There is no way to make the existing subs work with a new sound system. The work around is that I had to purchase a separate amp to power the subs independently.

I selected speakers that would work with the existing speaker covers because I did not want to change the look of the interior too much. I went with Kicker amps and speakers. There was nothing wrong with the factory speakers but I figured now was the time to upgrade.

The new amps are mounted in the boot and the navigation unit is under the passenger seat. So now, I have Nav, bluetooth, Sirius/XM, CD, DVD, Tuner, iPod, and can even play Pandora from my smartphone through the bluetooth audio. The handsfree phone is great with the 6-spd.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

Quick Reply: Interior decorating