Sponsored by:

996 Project-Lots of photos

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:06 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Project-Lots of photos

Well I am just about wrapped up on my 2002 C2 (86,000 miles) project. The transmission is in but I still have a few things to wrap up before the test drive so HOPEFULLY I don't jinx it by posting this tread.

This all started about a month ago when I let a friend drive my 996. Long story short he rode the clutch pedal and killed the release bearing. So I knew it was time to see how everything looked because this 996 is somewhat of a mystery. Hoping the clutch and flywheel would already have been done by the PO I dropped the transmission. Well no luck, the clutch and flywheel were shot. So I went ahead and ordered a light weight flywheel, Sachs sport pressure plate and sport spring hub disc. The I thought well I don't really buy into the whole IMS deal but the car is an unknown so I better be safe than sorry and ordered that up as well. Then is a RMS and AOS to finish it off.

So I balanced up the flywheel and then the pressure plate and got it almost perfect. When balancing a large flywheel and pressure plate it is really easy to start chasing your tail. With the flywheel and pressure plate balanced I am really not worried about breaking the crank. We balance Porsche crank shafts all the time and 19 out of 20 times they are near perfect and have been racing this same set up for years and have had zero problems. The new set up saved a good amount of weight, the stock stuff is crazy heavy!

Then I followed the instructions for the IMS replacement. Not a bad install, took my time and had not problems that were not my own fault (small stupid stuff that ate a lot of time). I am a factory trained PORSCHE tech with 86 credits and have worked in the industry for many years now (does not mean I know everything!). I have all the tools, equipment and W/S manuals needed. I would NOT recommend this job for someone working off their garage floor with basic tools and basic knowledge.

Once I got the IMS out I felt some relief and a tiny bit of anger. The old single row bearing looks and spins like it is new (see photos). But I do feel better now that I don't have to worry and I have a new Porsche part to add to my desk.

I had no luck on the AOS, it does not come out like the early one. The bolt on the back side is not accessible with the engine in the car. So I will add that to the parts collection I have going for the engine when I drop it.

The flywheel and clutch went on without issue and I got the trans bolted up last night. I have a few more things today and we should be good to go for a test drive and then start the next project (RSS control arms that came in today).
Also are a few photos of the 996 at Inde Motorsports Ranch last month. The car is not going to be a full track car, just something I can have fun in and do some instructing work.

FYI- this is just an informative write up for an enthusiast to enthusiast. Not trying to sell anything. (We are going to be rennlist sponsors very soon when the new website is done, I can't wait)!

Scott
Attached Images      
Old 12-22-2011, 04:10 PM
cardsrule
Pro

photos
Attached Images      
Old 12-22-2011, 04:16 PM
cardsrule
Pro

more
Attached Images      
Old 12-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great pics and nice work on your clutch, IMSB etc. Always helpful to have decent pics and more information.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:23 PM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool. Which flywheel did you go with (looks like Aasco)?
Old 12-23-2011, 07:00 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Thanks! Yes it is a Aasco. I drove it for the first time and the spring hub disc is butter smooth and it revs much better! I have a lot more photos so if you need any just P'M me.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:51 PM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cardsrule
Thanks! Yes it is a Aasco. I drove it for the first time and the spring hub disc is butter smooth and it revs much better! I have a lot more photos so if you need any just P'M me.
I have the same flywheel and have been debating on if I actually want to install it. I've read various pros/cons. Any additional feedback would be welcome.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:16 AM
cardsrule
Pro

Fly,

The flywheel is really good quality. We have been using them on our spec Boxster race cars for years. On those cars we don't use a spring hub disc so they can be a bit of a pain to start off. So for my 996 I chose to use a spring hub disc so that it will be smooth on the street. I haven't put a lot of miles on the car yet but it has been super smooth. The idle is the same, no hunting. The engine revs much quicker. I love it!
Let me know if you have any questions.
Scott
Old 12-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice write up. I have had the Aasco flywheel on mine for well over a year. I love it.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Leeroy
Track Day

Great Post! Thank you for the info!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:29 PM
bishopttu
AutoX

hi folks!

I have a 2001 996 (3.4L) and I took it over to the good folks at TPWS here in Austin for a clutch replacement. I got to reading on this forum and others that the AASCO was a great flywheel so I ordered it from vivid racing.

Now, the flywheel came in today and I took it over to TPWS. However, whenI got there, I was told that it's not a good idea to use a non-standard flywheel and that the ECU/ECM might need to be re=programmed.

Tell me folks, is the 996 ECM looking for a specific rotation speed based on weight?

I ordered a SPEC 2 clutch which should give me a little more aggressive pickup...

sound like a decent upgrade for a noob?

A.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:19 PM
cardsrule
Pro

No you will not have to reprogram the ECU. Your shop may be thinking about early 964's which sometimes would have stalling issues. The 9X6 cars will not have any problem. I would highly recommend having the flywheel and pressure plate balanced before install....

Not sure about the spec 2 clutch, make sure it is a spring hub disc. If not and it is a solid hub its going to be a pain on the street.

After having about 100+ miles on my new clutch and flywheel I am loving it. Even with the high clamp load pressure plate the clutch pedal is super smooth!

The real test will be next weekend at the track...
Old 01-05-2012, 02:18 PM
bishopttu
AutoX

Thank you so much for the follow-up.

TPWS and the local Porsche dealership do not balance flywheel, clutch and pressure plates. So, this means that I could have some trouble with the AASCO flywheel?

the SPEC 2 wasn't delivered in time, so they ordered a sport clutch from Sachs to pair with the AASCO flywheel.

What do you recommend?

Quick Reply: 996 Project-Lots of photos