Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Newbie, and I hate to ask a key fob question, but ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Kurt_Seattle
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie, and I hate to ask a key fob question, but ...

I recently purchased a 996 C4, and the key fob seems to go dead after about a week and a 1/2. I have changed the battery in the fob about 3 times over the past month. I assume that this isn't normal. I first went to the local Porsche dealer, and they placed a new battery in the fob, and off I went. After about a week, I noticed that the the fob was only triggering the lock intermitently, and I assumed that the Porsche dealer had placed a battery they had laying around into the fob. No biggie, I went and bought new batteries. Key fob began working as would be expected. Then last Friday, the key fob began acting up, and when I placed a new battery in the fob ... you guessed it ... works fine.

It seems like there is some kind of "draining" of the battery going on? Has anyone else seen this? A web search doesn't reveal much. Also, I do notice that the car will beep once after locking, either with the key in lock or with the fob. So the second part of my question is ... what are the points of contact that should be made for a "secure" car, i.e., doors, console, seats upright, and bonnet? Are there others that I am missing that might somehow be keeping the key or lock firing?

Thanks for any help or guidance. And sorry to ask another fob question.

Kurt
Old 12-19-2011, 01:06 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the fob is draining that quickly, something is wrong with it. Probably time to get a new fob.

There is a TSB for making the remote work at greater distances, perhaps that would help make your current one last longer.

You can go without the fob and just use the key in the door to lock/unlock.

As for the beep on locking, something is not secure. Common issues are the fuel door, oddments tray (under your arm) and radio frame ground.

Any of those can appear to be fine but the microswitches could have gone bad (in those items above, as well as your doors, trunk, and engine bay).

Another possibility with the horn is the passenger compartment motion detection system is gone haywire and needs repair.

To properly diagnose what item is causing the beep you need a computer that can read the alarm faults such as Durametric.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 PM
DanDotDan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by logray
You can go without the fob and just use the key in the door to lock/unlock.
I tried that for a while, but the fuel filler door won't open without the fob.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:44 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With the key in the ignition, press the unlock button on the dash and it will.

Quick Reply: Newbie, and I hate to ask a key fob question, but ...