996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What's this noise? Bad clutch...again?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Soooooooo how's the car doing? Put a bullet through the crankcase or have a good porsche tech look at the history and get a listen?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:32 AM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any progress on this one??

Just found out that my transmission makes sometimes sound like this. Not as loud and not all the time.

Just got 3k km after the engine rebuild, so now the transmission need's rebuild... Or maybe change to M3.... :P
Old 02-04-2012, 11:59 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh no... well at least the engine is running strong.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:04 PM
speed rII
Pro

Originally Posted by logray
Oh no... well at least the engine is running strong.
Yep.
I can't hear the noise if I stand next to the car, only when I was under it.
In the grease pit...
Old 03-06-2012, 02:53 PM
L986
3rd Gear

Question Progress?

Hi apanossi,

Did you make any progress regarding the clutch noise in your 996?

I would very appreciate if you let us know the solution that worked for you, in case you already find it.

Thanks a lot,

Luis.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Pac996
Drifting

3 months and no real results? I'd dump your workers and find a dealership or race team that's found all the odd screw ups already and knows the sounds and can spot the problem from reviewing your symptoms that go along with all the repairs tried again and again.

One trick you could try but not want to is not push the coutch in and try putting the car in gear while its running to get close to actual gear engagement. You don't want to grind gears but get the syncro's working and add some change to the shafts to see if the noise stops. If the syncro's don't allow getting messed then I'd try getting them started with the cluch in slightly or all the way before gear engagement and see if the nosie changes and how it changes. I'd try different gears and reverse. I'm not sure if there are two seperate shafts for odd and even gears or what in there but you do have to find the problem. Sorry to hear its been a long haul of failures. Maybe get fond of modern rock and roll that sounds like that racket?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 AM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry guys. My car was rear ended at the end of December and it's been in the body shop getting work done since. Total of $18k damage. Insurance company wouldn't salvage it. Anyway, mechanical is finally going back in the car. I was going to explore the possibility of the trans input shaft. I'm not sure if i'll end up with an answer on this one. I'm not sure I want to throw any more money at it. But if there's clear cut evidence this last time, then I will definitely post the solution.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Wow thats bad on the rear getting thrashed. I hope you are doing OK. I think most insurance companies allow disputing the way claims are handled. I don't think anybody but Porsche is the right people to handle repairing major damage like yours. That alone would probably throw the cost of repair over what the insurance considers totalled.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:03 PM
L986
3rd Gear

Hi apanossi,

Sorry your car was damaged; I hope you will enjoy it again after they fix it.

Thanks for sharing the solution if you finally get it,

Luis
Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 AM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok guys. At wits end, I decided to get a new transmission to solve this problem. Well, I'm happy to say that the problem has been solved...so far. The old tranny is on the way back to Porsche for diagnosis. This has and continues to be a mystery to me, but it is now clear that the problem seems to have been with the transmission itself. I'm not sure what would cause these symptoms mechanically within the transmission, but I'm back to loving my car again. I know it's a bit anti-climactic, but I thought I would post what seems to be the solution to this issue thus far. Hopefully, I will get an answer at some point from Porsche on this and share it with everyone.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I hope it was your transmission. I had a rebuilt one put in because the old one was 'noisy'.... nothing like as noisy as yours and not even a pulsating noise as yours was. Mine was just loud inside the car. With the top down (I have the cab) it was hardly noticable. Only with the top up and windows closed was it loud. Since the upgrade. The car is really quiet. Hope yours is a success.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:24 PM
TJ110
AutoX

Default Still have the video?

Originally Posted by apanossi
Can't figure out what this noise is from my 2002 996. I have been having trouble with a clutch issue involving this noise from the bell housing area. I have posted here before about this but all previous suggestions have been tried without success. I am attaching an audio recording of the noise, which comes on after the car warms up and is idling in neutral, and goes away when the clutch is depressed. This has been a frustrating process since I have so far spent more than $5000 on trying to fix this issue.

The car runs great, but ignoring the noise in the past eventually led to a clutch failure. I have had the clutch kit, flywheel, and throwout bearings fixed about 3 times each by both the dealer and a well-reputed indy. Could this be an issue with the slave cylinder for the clutch? None of this is making any sense.

Really late to this thread, but if you still have a recording of the sound any chance you could repost it?

Quick Reply: What's this noise? Bad clutch...again?