996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Car seems to bottom out a lot? Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:18 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, thats my car in my avatar That's an interesting thought. I bought my car this way but it had some mods so it may have been lowered already. That's springs right?

If I just get new shocks/struts I should be ok. Right?
Old 12-17-2011, 10:54 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's hard to tell how low your car is but it sure looks like it's sitting on the wheels! If it's very low you will want to get shocks/struts that are built for the shorter stroke of lowering springs. Probably M030 ROW (I'm not 100% sure for your year car but the US M030 is typically not as low as ROW) or Bilstein HDs.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Shocks and struts do not raise or lower your car in and of themselves. Spring rate and height determine if your car is raised or lowered. New shocks and struts will not keep you from bottoming out. But they may cushion the blow somewhat. However, if you are hitting the bump stops more frequently now than before, the newer shocks and struts help reduce that.

Generally speaking, you should buy shocks and struts with a MATCHED set of springs - meaning the springs and shocks should have been engineered together. This also applies to the anti-sway bars as part of the full equation. Which is why I chose the M030 RoW complete kit. Better handling than stock, lower than stock, but not a full-on track set-up like the X-74. And the entire M030 RoW kit (shocks/struts/spring/sway bars/grommets and bushings) is less money than a set of just Bilsteins. There is negligible additional labor to install the full kit vs changing out just the shocks and struts since all of the other pieces (springs, sway bar connections, full four wheel alignment) must be removed either way. And your car needs new bushing by now, anyway.

Nevertheless, get an experienced Porsche mechanic to look at your suspension pieces before you purchase anything. You may already have some of the bits if the suspension was modified before you purchased it.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

i went with bilstein sport and h&r springs on my 4s,

nice drop and feel really good on the track(pretty firm)

also, you should change the front top mount at the same time, pricy, but they tend to make problem...

Quick Reply: Car seems to bottom out a lot? Struts?