Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bought my first Porsche 911, should I get a warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:46 PM
01blackm3
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bought my first Porsche 911, should I get a warranty?

Hello everyone,

I bought a 1999 Porsche 911 C2 manual with 80,000 miles.

I did a lot of research on the forums before I made the jump! I am definitely worried about engine failure.....(IMS, RMS, and sleeves slip) My Credit Union is offering me a warranty of 48,000 miles or 4 years for $4,500 and this would cover engine/drive train/suspension/etc. with a $100 deductible and not limit to how many claims can be made.

Should I buy the extended warranty or should I just do the IMS retro fit kit from lnengineering?

If I do the IMS kit from lnengineering should I not worry about engine failure?

Thanks

Moe
Old 12-14-2011, 11:20 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome, Moe. Was a PPI (PrePurchase Inspection) done and what were the findings? You will get a 50/50 split on opinion re: warranties......"The warranty is only as good as the company making it"

What does the warranty fine print (inclusions/exclusions, how long must you own car/mileage driven before a claim is made, etc.) stipulate?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:36 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Moe, kromdom is right, the warranty is what it is, not what the person selling it says it is.

Read and more importantly, understand the inclusion/exclusion clauses. If you are not sure what it says/means, ask someone who will: your indy, P-DEALER, this forum, etc.

Who is the provider?

Do you plan on driving the mileage limit or run out the clock first?

Would spending the money really contribute to more peace of mind? (think about that one for a day or two)

Where are the pics
Old 12-15-2011, 12:22 AM
01blackm3
Track Day

Hi guys the warranty company is Mercury Select Management Company, Inc and I checked them out with BBB and they have an A+ rating with them.

As for the clauses of the contract I haven't seen anything that seems alarming but I think I will take it over to my local P-dealership and see if they catch anything funny. The only exclusions that I've seen in the warranty so far is the exhaust system, they don't cover the muffler or cats.

The PPI came back clean and I didn't see any red flags which is why I decided to buy this car.

I plan on driving this car for as long as I can, I am not the type of guy who lets his cars sit around (my 2001 M3 had 160k before I sold it). This will be my daily driver and I am really excited to experience the thrill of driving a P everyday.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:23 AM
01blackm3
Track Day

Oh I am having the car detailed and I should get it back from the shop by this Saturday so I will post up pictures then.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:33 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome aboard

You are doing the right thing by checking with the dealer. At 80k miles a this 4 year warranty does not sound too bad of a cost, BUT make sure what its covered or not.

Cheers
Old 12-15-2011, 01:51 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,576 Likes on 987 Posts

I didn't buy an extended warranty when I bought the C4S. I have never regretted that decision.

When I bought the Cayenne, I bought an extended warranty from the Porsche dealer that extended my factory warranty to 8 years or 80,000 miles. It was about $3,400. I never used it once, and I'm now past 80,000 miles. I regret buying that one.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:36 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I didn't buy an extended warranty when I bought the C4S. I have never regretted that decision.

When I bought the Cayenne, I bought an extended warranty from the Porsche dealer that extended my factory warranty to 8 years or 80,000 miles. It was about $3,400. I never used it once, and I'm now past 80,000 miles. I regret buying that one.
Warranties are a personal thing. I don't buy them and you don't buy them because we are at peace with the "chance". Some people are constant worriers, regardless of the numbers. Once bitten...
Old 12-15-2011, 09:45 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Talk to the dealer/service manager and see what his experience has been with that warranty company.
Maybe ask some non Porsche service depts also.You'll find out quick if it's any good.

Welcome !
The following users liked this post:
ATX_Native (12-20-2021)
Old 12-15-2011, 11:23 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the warranty has no $$$ limits (so they would replace your engine in the event of a failure) and every aspect of the fine print you can accept, being that the car is an early one (99) I would seriously consider the warranty.

80k miles is a testament to the drivetrain thus far but, if you want another 80k out of it without any large "hiccups" I would buy the warranty.

Did it come with a service history? If not, find out how old the water pump is.

If it is orginal, REPLACE IT NOW!!!

Good luck
Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 PM
yank_my_chain
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm currently considering purchasing a 2003 C4S with 60K miles and am also debating a warranty. Does anyone have a recommendation on a warranty company and the length of warranty (miles vs. years)? What should this cost?

I don't mean to hijack this thread but thought this question was on-topic.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:39 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Carefully read the warranty, in particular look for coverage of gaskets and seals. Most require a seperate rider to cover these very common to Porsche problems.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a guess, but it appears this warranty would cost between 20-30% of the current value of the car. Probably not worth it IMO as long as you keep up on your maintenance. Just remember its a 13 yr old car and wear items will need replacing
Old 12-15-2011, 03:16 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

In my mind, even with 80k miles, the LN Engineering IMS replacement bearing is a must (or at a minimum the IMS Guardian). A warranty is less than must. If you are on the original clutch it probably needs replacement soon. A good time to do the bearing too.

The potential big ticket items on a 996 other than IMS:
  • clutch - wear item not covered by warranty
  • catalytic converters - probably covered
  • RMS leak - probably covered (depending on seals and gaskets wording)
  • coil pack related problems and leaks - probably covered
  • general oil leaks - probably covered
  • window regulator failure - probably covered
  • regular maintenance - not covered
(what did I miss?)

You could do most of the covered work on that list for $4500 (except the cats, which are not cheap but don't fail much)
Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

In my mind, even with 80k miles, the LN Engineering IMS replacement bearing is a must (or at a minimum the IMS Guardian). A warranty is less than must. If you are on the original clutch it probably needs replacement soon. A good time to do the bearing too.

The potential big ticket items on a 996 other than IMS:

clutch - wear item not covered by warranty
catalytic converters - probably covered
RMS leak - probably covered (depending on seals and gaskets wording)
coil pack related problems and leaks - probably covered
general oil leaks - probably covered
window regulator failure - probably covered
regular maintenance - not covered

(what did I miss?)

You could do most of the covered work on that list for $4500 (except the cats, which are not cheap but don't fail much)
I would add

Transmission - the pinion bearing can be an issue
Variocam solenoids
AOS
Cracked head / intermix
Expansion tank

Quick Reply: Bought my first Porsche 911, should I get a warranty?