Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Confessions of a 997.2 owner... or in what ways is it better than the 996?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:28 AM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already know that my next Porsche will be a 2009 or newer C4S with PDK, that I will likely start looking for in a year or so.

I really, really love my 2003 996 C4S, though.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Rob996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim
Thanks for the great write up on the 997.2!! Ive had my 996 for 6 years now, of course loving it every time i get in and turn on the engine. Over the years i have modified a number of things on the car, some by choice and others less so (like a new engine). However I am considering a 997, and your write up has made it cristal clear to hold out for the 997.2, as the changes are definitely woth while. I track my 996 quite a lot each summer, and will be looking to track my next Porsche. I was considering the 997 GT3, but feel the car is just too obnoxious with the big rear spoiler etc. Therefore really narrowing the choice down a car very similar to what you have.. 997.2 C2S. Now the difficulty in finding the right color.

Thanks again
Old 12-15-2011, 01:25 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm now looking forward to the new "retro" Targa (C4S please) but not if the DFI problem remains unresolved.

I suspect 1 or 2 throttle body fuel injectors will solve the intake valve residue buildup problem and at the same time eliminate the long standing problem of EGR residue deposit accumulation within the intake manifold.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:19 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Nice write up Tim, glad you are enjoying the car, but I guess what's not to like!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
I'm now looking forward to the new "retro" Targa (C4S please) but not if the DFI problem remains unresolved.

I suspect 1 or 2 throttle body fuel injectors will solve the intake valve residue buildup problem and at the same time eliminate the long standing problem of EGR residue deposit accumulation within the intake manifold.
I have read your repeated claims of a "DFI problem" with the new 9A1 engines. Please post documented proof that such a problem exists. Who did the study, how many cars were found to have this "problem," how many cars were included in the sample study, what percentage of cars had this "problem," etc., etc.

Using the BMW DFI engines as an example won't cut it! They are not Porsche engineered engines.

If there really is a "problem" as you say there is, then I want to read about it, learn the facts, and also want to know what to do about it.

If you can not substantiate your claims, then please state that your comments are "your opinion" and "your conjecture," rather than trying to pass them off as fact.

I'll await your documentation.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:05 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rob996
Tim
Thanks for the great write up on the 997.2!! Ive had my 996 for 6 years now, of course loving it every time i get in and turn on the engine. Over the years i have modified a number of things on the car, some by choice and others less so (like a new engine). However I am considering a 997, and your write up has made it cristal clear to hold out for the 997.2, as the changes are definitely woth while. I track my 996 quite a lot each summer, and will be looking to track my next Porsche. I was considering the 997 GT3, but feel the car is just too obnoxious with the big rear spoiler etc. Therefore really narrowing the choice down a car very similar to what you have.. 997.2 C2S. Now the difficulty in finding the right color.

Thanks again
Rob,

You are welcome. I just want people to know that there is quite a difference between the 997.1 and 997.2. Please know that I am not saying that the 997.1 is a bad car. Quite the contrary! I think the 997.1 is a very good car.

Like it or not, we all know that there is a large difference in styling between the 996 and the 997.1. However, functionally, I believe there is a larger difference between the 997.2 and the 997.1 than there is between the 997.1 and the 996.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DFC
Nice write up Tim, glad you are enjoying the car, but I guess what's not to like!
Don,

Good to hear from you again! Thanks, I really am enjoying the car!
Old 12-15-2011, 09:09 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well for most of us 996 owners that is a $40K+ upgrade ... yes very nice .. but I'm still happy with my 996 performance everytime I drive it
Old 12-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I've been waiting for this thread to heat up a bit before jumping in.

Tim,
Congratulations on your new and absolutely great looking car! I am VERY happy for you, and I agree that the 997.2 is the best choice on the "previously enjoyed" market, (if you can stand the buy-in cost). You did well, young Skywalker.

Since we never did get to hook up last year for a run together on the TotD in my car (when you were still "between") I hope we can do it in April of this coming year, together. First we will run our own cars, then we will ride along with each other, then we will switch cars.

I look forward to coming back to this thread after that and reporting that in fact Porsche has made noticable improvements, fully recordable on the Butt dyno, over the decade between our cars. LOL! I just hope that my wallet has made a noticable improvement by then because I have steadfastly refused to test drive ANY 997 because I knew my knees would weaken once I crossed that line. It happens every time.

That 991 Targa C4S PDK sounds good too... when I can physically no longer push a clutch to the floor.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Thundertub
I have steadfastly refused to test drive ANY 997 because I knew my knees would weaken once I crossed that line. It happens every time.
my wife won't let me for that very reason.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:50 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

yeah, I was wondering that too
Old 12-15-2011, 11:58 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Thundertub
I've been waiting for this thread to heat up a bit before jumping in.

Tim,
Congratulations on your new and absolutely great looking car! I am VERY happy for you, and I agree that the 997.2 is the best choice on the "previously enjoyed" market, (if you can stand the buy-in cost). You did well, young Skywalker.

Since we never did get to hook up last year for a run together on the TotD in my car (when you were still "between") I hope we can do it in April of this coming year, together. First we will run our own cars, then we will ride along with each other, then we will switch cars.

I look forward to coming back to this thread after that and reporting that in fact Porsche has made noticable improvements, fully recordable on the Butt dyno, over the decade between our cars. LOL! I just hope that my wallet has made a noticable improvement by then because I have steadfastly refused to test drive ANY 997 because I knew my knees would weaken once I crossed that line. It happens every time.

That 991 Targa C4S PDK sounds good too... when I can physically no longer push a clutch to the floor.
Thanks, Mark.

Just let me know when and where you want to run. I'll be happy to let you drive my car.

Just be prepared to start looking for a 997.2 when all is said and done!
Old 12-17-2011, 02:30 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gota911
I have read your repeated claims of a "DFI problem" with the new 9A1 engines. Please post documented proof that such a problem exists. Who did the study, how many cars were found to have this "problem," how many cars were included in the sample study, what percentage of cars had this "problem," etc., etc.

Using the BMW DFI engines as an example won't cut it! They are not Porsche engineered engines.

If there really is a "problem" as you say there is, then I want to read about it, learn the facts, and also want to know what to do about it.

If you can not substantiate your claims, then please state that your comments are "your opinion" and "your conjecture," rather than trying to pass them off as fact.

I'll await your documentation.
Bueller??...... Bueller?????...... wwest??...... wwest?????
Old 12-17-2011, 03:17 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice car Tim!

I love DRL (daytime running lights) and LED technology.
The car looks fresh, modern and is a fantastic choice to get 'more distance' and improvements from a 996.

No more IMS issues ....

I drove a 3.8 PDK and It was amazing... but I love manual gearbox!!!
I love the clutch and It makes me feel better than driving a car like a Playstation console.

The car is incredible... when you drive it fast, you can't imagine how Porsche engineers could imprve it.... till you drive a 991

You can read here one of the best roadtest of the 991, made by my Soloporsche.com partner Carlos

Roadtest Spanish version for those spanish spoken

Roadtest English version

So referred to your car, I only can say... CONGRATS!!!!

I'm a 996 lover , but 997 Mk2 is an excellent choice. The 996 C2 front train is not the best design that Porsche engineers made (C4 was very different). 997 wasn't a real new model respect to 996 series, was a evolution. The 991 is a real new car.

Best regards from Spain... It was too much I didn't write here
Old 12-17-2011, 04:44 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Joaquin,

Thanks for the kind words! I am really enjoying the car. It is a blast to drive..... slow or fast. Check out my other thread about my Titanium lug bolts.

Quick Reply: Confessions of a 997.2 owner... or in what ways is it better than the 996?