Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Brake Light Switch (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/669500-brake-light-switch.html)

atx.911 12-10-2011 05:09 PM

Brake Light Switch

I did some researching but couldn't find the answer. Does anyone know where I can find detailed instructions on replacing the brake light switch on an '03 996 C2?

My brake lights are flashing - turning on when pressing the brake pedal gently down (25-50% pressure) but turn right off if I press the brake fully down(100% pressure).

I'm assuming it's the brake light switch needing to be replaced.

I recently had the brake system flushed and noticed a slight difference in the brake pressure. This is also about the time the brake lights started acting up.

fpb111 12-11-2011 12:36 AM

Same as Boxster:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...l_Switches.htm

fpb111 12-11-2011 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by fpb111 (Post 9092597)

you need to get to them from Drivers foot well NOT passengers.

atx.911 12-11-2011 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by fpb111 (Post 9092603)
you need to get to them from Drivers foot well NOT passengers.

Thanks fpb111 ! Do you think this will solve the problem of the brake lights barely flashing on when the brake pedal is pressed?

Do you know if there is any kind of adjustment or way to tweak the lights on how much the brake lights stay on when the brake pedal is pressed?

fpb111 12-11-2011 06:51 PM

It sounds like your switch may have worn/dirty/weak/bad internal contacts.

Look at the brake light switch. You can pull the actuator pin towards the pedal while pushing the pedal to take up free play. If the switch is working correctly it will self adjust. If not the switch may be shot.

You could take the switch out pull the spade connectors and connect the two wires together to see if your brake lights come on, and stay on, while you have them connected together. If they stay on replace the switch ($25-30?). If the problem is still there it is something else.

Goldenwarrior1 12-11-2011 06:54 PM

atx, I had the exact same problem and the switch was the culprit. Make sure you get the correct one as the clutch and brake look the same but will not interchange. Mine went out while several hundred miles from home so I stopped at an advance auto but the switch they sold me looked identical but would not work correctly. When I got home I went to the local P dealer and the replacement worked perfectly. It has been about a year and still no issues. You can find detailed info over at Rentech. Tons of resources for the DIY and Loren is a great help.

atx.911 12-12-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Goldenwarrior1 (Post 9093868)
atx, I had the exact same problem and the switch was the culprit. Make sure you get the correct one as the clutch and brake look the same but will not interchange. Mine went out while several hundred miles from home so I stopped at an advance auto but the switch they sold me looked identical but would not work correctly. When I got home I went to the local P dealer and the replacement worked perfectly. It has been about a year and still no issues. You can find detailed info over at Rentech. Tons of resources for the DIY and Loren is a great help.

Alride! Thanks Guys! Will get my switch today and switch it out!

fpena944 12-12-2011 12:55 PM

It literally takes longer to situate yourself under the dash than it does to replace this switch. Just twist it 1/2 turn and pull it off to replace.

I just had mine replaced two weeks ago which is why this is fresh in my mind! :)

atx.911 01-05-2012 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by fpena944 (Post 9095551)
It literally takes longer to situate yourself under the dash than it does to replace this switch. Just twist it 1/2 turn and pull it off to replace.

I just had mine replaced two weeks ago which is why this is fresh in my mind! :)

Did you have any trouble getting the new one twisted into place? I can put the switch into place but I cannot twist it in either direction. I even tried filing down the "prongs" on the side closest to the box but it seems that twisting the switch into place is not doing the trick.

fpena944 01-05-2012 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by atx.911 (Post 9157943)
Did you have any trouble getting the new one twisted into place? I can put the switch into place but I cannot twist it in either direction. I even tried filing down the "prongs" on the side closest to the box but it seems that twisting the switch into place is not doing the trick.

No problems at all for me. The one problem I did have is that it seems the switch has two positions for the plunger. One position is shorter than the other. So when I first installed it the plunger was too short and my brake lights stayed on ALL THE TIME which I bet pi$$ed off quite a few people behind me.

I then pulled on it and the plunger extended and now fits perfectly.

But back to your original question I just lined up the prongs with the indentations on the metal and insert. Once inserted twist clockwise and it should "click" and you're all set.

Stupid comment time but be positive it's the brake pedal you're accessing and not the clutch. Once you're upside-down it can get confusing when you're working on it.

atx.911 01-05-2012 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by fpena944 (Post 9095551)

Originally Posted by fpena944 (Post 9157966)
No problems at all for me. The one problem I did have is that it seems the switch has two positions for the plunger. One position is shorter than the other. So when I first installed it the plunger was too short and my brake lights stayed on ALL THE TIME which I bet pi$$ed off quite a few people behind me.

I then pulled on it and the plunger extended and now fits perfectly.

But back to your original question I just lined up the prongs with the indentations on the metal and insert. Once inserted twist clockwise and it should "click" and you're all set.

Stupid comment time but be positive it's the brake pedal you're accessing and not the clutch. Once you're upside-down it can get confusing when you're working on it.

What a pain in the ass! If you put the switch in and push it straight back and try to twist it, it didn't work for me. What I had to do was push in the switch, then keeping it pushed in all the way - shift it to the right (facing dash) THEN twist the switch clockwise. I couldn't believe that's all it took. I even filed down some of the prongs etc. thinking that was it. I just had to jiggle it to the right to get it to twist! Oh well hopefully this thread helps whoever the next victim is.

Thanks for the help! :)

dann911 09-13-2014 05:30 PM

This just happened to my 2002 C4S and fixed it for $0. This might not work for everyone, but I thought I would share. I didn't take any pictures because I didn't know if it'd work so I'll try to describe it the best I can.

The short story:

1. Took out the switch.
2. Took apart the switch. (2 pieces)
3. Reassembled the switch backwards. (180 degree rotation)
4. Put the switch back in.
5. Self-high-five

The long story: I when I took apart the switch I noticed there was two long contacts and two short ones. I saw exactly where the wear was, on one of the short contacts, but only one. The base connected two of the contacts, one short and one long so I assumed these were used for the ground. By flipping the connection between the contacts half and the base half the worn part is now used for the ground and also backed up by the long ground contact.

I expect to get a decent amount of time out of this "fix". (I'd like to believe I doubled the life of the switch)

FRUNKenstein 09-14-2014 12:13 PM

dann911: Thanks for sharing - very good info. IIRC, it's pretty easy to take the switch apart. When I replaced mine a few months ago, I used a pair of needle nose vise grips to lightly grip the switch because I couldn't get enough torque on it with my fingers to twist it into place. The switch came apart when I twisted it and it thought I had broken it. But I just reassembled it and it just snapped right back together. So I think your fix would be easy to do. It might save someone $30 and a trip to the parts store.

Cycle_fast 10-22-2016 08:47 PM

My break light centre light comes on but the other two don't , can it still be the switch? I just bought my Boxster and got it home just to find this issue grr any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance

Ahsai 10-22-2016 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cycle_fast (Post 13693750)
My break light centre light comes on but the other two don't , can it still be the switch? I just bought my Boxster and got it home just to find this issue grr any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance

It's unlikely as the stop lights are all on the same circuit powered by the brake light switch. You may want to check the bulbs.

Cycle_fast 10-22-2016 08:58 PM

Thanks for the response Ahsai, I did check the bulbs and they look good as I can see the filements aren't burnt or broken apart.

Cycle_fast 10-22-2016 08:59 PM

Both burning out at once would be unlikely, wouldn't it?

Ahsai 10-22-2016 09:01 PM

Did you remove the bulb and check the bulb socket base? Sometimes the metal spring contact is broken or weak and not making contact with the bulb. Would be easy if you have a multimeter to check for power at the socket while applying your brake.

Ahsai 10-22-2016 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cycle_fast (Post 13693773)
Both burning out at once would be unlikely, wouldn't it?

Are you sure they failed at the same time?

Cycle_fast 10-22-2016 09:04 PM

Hmm that makes sence I'll give that a try. Thanks for giving me things to look at.

Cycle_fast 10-22-2016 09:07 PM

The way I found out I had this problem is a fellow pulled up next to me and said my left break light was out. Once I got home, I tested the breaks in a big mirror and saw only the centre light was working.

Ahsai 10-22-2016 09:11 PM

The rear light socket and wiring failures are quite common on 996 so it may also apply to Boxsters.

brianmch 08-31-2017 06:23 PM

Late to the party but the repair info was still solid. Thanks for keeping old posts for us old guys to keep our old cars alive!

sparks259 12-20-2017 03:48 PM

FYI- for those with normal sized hands/fingers (no offense intended) in order to twist the mew switch into place, I used a 19mm open end wrench on the brown part of the switch to push and turn it into place. Just re-attach the wiring harness and your done. What a terrible location for that switch.

DBJoe996 01-02-2020 04:42 PM

Not going to make a new thread, just update this one. My brake pedal brake light switch lasted 21 years and 145,xxx miles and gave up the ghost. Ordered new OE Porsche brake switch and it should be here today. Pulled the old one in five minutes. Here is a picture of the innards. Note the corrosion and gunk on the contacts. New one I figure will take 5 minutes to install. Symptoms - no brake lights either side and/or flashing center brake light and no brake lights. Thanks for those who commented above in this thread.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...52eab70219.jpg

DBJoe996 01-03-2020 03:01 PM

Famous last words..should take five minutes to install. Got new switch today. For the life of me I can insert the new switch but cannot get it to turn either way. I've been trying for an hour and it just won't move. I have pushed on it with all my might and tried to turn it and it just doesn't turn. I have pushed and jiggled it back and forth, up and down. Frustrating as all hell. This should be simple. I tried the 19mm wrench trick and that didn't work either. I can clearly see that it is in the slots but for some odd reason it won't rotate. My arm and shoulder hurt now...so walking away from it. This should be a one beer job. Looks like it is going to be 3 or 4. Dammit.

Rjdelo 09-26-2020 01:09 AM

Amazing that this community is here. When my ABS and PSM lights lit up the dish, and it told me to drive straight to the shop, I got sweaty. I haven’t even owned the car for a month. However, new switch ordered, four letter words uttered, eventually I became one with the German engineering, and the new switch is in. Two beer job for me, one self high-five, just loving it.

c210rg 01-18-2021 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by DBJoe996 (Post 16329277)
Famous last words..should take five minutes to install. Got new switch today. For the life of me I can insert the new switch but cannot get it to turn either way. I've been trying for an hour and it just won't move. I have pushed on it with all my might and tried to turn it and it just doesn't turn. I have pushed and jiggled it back and forth, up and down. Frustrating as all hell. This should be simple. I tried the 19mm wrench trick and that didn't work either. I can clearly see that it is in the slots but for some odd reason it won't rotate. My arm and shoulder hurt now...so walking away from it. This should be a one beer job. Looks like it is going to be 3 or 4. Dammit.

Hey DBJoe996, did you find a good way of getting the switch to lock in? Thanks in advanced.

Rjdelo 01-18-2021 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by c210rg (Post 17170860)
Hey DBJoe996, did you find a good way of getting the switch to lock in? Thanks in advanced.

As I read your post and look back on it, I under-sold in my description. It took great, almost Herculean, strength the push in and twist the new switch into place. You can do it, have faith and persistence👍. Unfortunately I can't identify any special tips. Good luck

DBJoe996 01-18-2021 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by c210rg (Post 17170860)

Yes. I took my Dremel and ground down the two plastic nubs on the switch slightly. Just shaved them a bit. Inserted switch in the bracket and turned it half a turn by hand. Simple one minute job. It never should have been that hard to install. Live and learn....

c210rg 01-19-2021 01:30 AM

Rjdelo, DBJoe996, Thank you both.