Sponsored by:

No camshaft signal bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:32 PM
CPais
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No camshaft signal bank 1

I recently replaced lifters on the bank 1 side of the engine. The car had a bad miss on cylinder 1 and replacing the lifters fixed the miss. When I started the car I had a camshaft sensor error but the car ran fine. I replaced the camshaft sensor but the error did not go away. On the Durametric I have no signal from the bank 1 can at all, the trouble code states that it does not see the cam, in other words it states that the teeth for the pickup are not there. I removed the camshaft and I can see that the teeth for the pickup are still on the camshaft.

It's hard to believe that the car runs fine with no signal from bank one. I do not really want to pull the engine apart again but I have to fix this problem. Does anyone have any insight as to what the problem may be. I also switched the sensor from the other side of the engine and nothing has changed.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CPais
I recently replaced lifters on the bank 1 side of the engine. The car had a bad miss on cylinder 1 and replacing the lifters fixed the miss. When I started the car I had a camshaft sensor error but the car ran fine. I replaced the camshaft sensor but the error did not go away. On the Durametric I have no signal from the bank 1 can at all, the trouble code states that it does not see the cam, in other words it states that the teeth for the pickup are not there. I removed the camshaft and I can see that the teeth for the pickup are still on the camshaft.

It's hard to believe that the car runs fine with no signal from bank one. I do not really want to pull the engine apart again but I have to fix this problem. Does anyone have any insight as to what the problem may be. I also switched the sensor from the other side of the engine and nothing has changed.
What is the error code?

For a lack of camshaft position sensor the fault condition could be (without knowing the error code):

Signal implausible; short circuit to ground; short circuit to positive.

Possible causes could be: no power; break in wiring; short circuit to positive; short circuit to ground; CMP (camshaft position sensor) faulty.

I have some info on some tests (4 IIRC) that you might be able to do. Send me a PM if you want the tests -- to much to type in -- and I'll make a PDF copy of the tests and send the PDF to you via email.

In the meantime, be very sure you have checked the connector and the connector is well, connected. With age these connectors do not as readily go back together as they once did when young.

With the connector disconnected carefully check for any bent/missing pins or goofed up pin sockets on the other connector.

Be sure the connector is dry too.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 PM
CPais
Advanced

The code I have is a P0343

I believe it is a short circuit to positive. That is the current fault I have.

I could swear that the code before was a P0341 though.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:48 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a helpful post for you. Depending on your MY car, the pinouts will be different from the post below (based on type of DME you have).

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...post__p__94080

But basically it sounds like it is your wiring (most likely) or a bad replacement CPS was installed. You could also swap CPS between banks to eliminate that as a variable.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:03 PM
CPais
Advanced

I have 12 volts positive on two of the wires going to the sensor. I compared it to the other side and I have the same readings on that side as well.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, well if you've eliminated the wiring.

Then what's left is to swap the sensors between banks.

And then if that doesn't work it could be that your DME needs to be repaired.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CPais
The code I have is a P0343

I believe it is a short circuit to positive. That is the current fault I have.

I could swear that the code before was a P0341 though.
You need to be sure.

If you switched the camshaft position sensor from one bank to another the P0343 code could be confirmation the sensor is bad since this is (working from memory) the error code of the other bank.

Read the code. Write the code down. Then swap the camshaft position sensors.

Start the engine and get the CEL. Read the code again. If the error code has changed but is still one that reflects the same basic problem but with the other bank then this is a pretty clear sign the sensor is bad.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: No camshaft signal bank 1