996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Still ticking away - really could use some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:09 PM
nylewis
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macster thanks for the detailed response. This was actually the 3rd time the covers were pulled off. About 2 years ago I replaced the lifters with no help then the car just got parked for a while. Then this spring, I pulled everything apart and looked everything over, measured the cams, looked at the covers, bearings, springs, everything looked like new. I put in new plugs, coils and of course all new exhaust gaskets. I shot compressed air into the lifters and the oil passages in the head I could get to. When I put everything back together, the noise was much less and would more often be gone then be there. So I figured it had to be the lifters even if I just replaced them last go. I gave it to a Porsche mech I know cause I was just tired of doing it. He replaced the lifters and said the same thing, everything looked fine and did a leak down test and said he even pulled the piece that houses the lifters and blew it out with air. When he put it back together, it was back to square one. The noise was back to constant and loud. He said hes clueless, the car runs very smooth and has power. With 3 times the plugs and exhaust being pulled and put back in, I just cant see that being it. And with the sound sometimes stopping, it cant be a total failure (spring/valve). I could try making sure the plugs are tight after he did the lifters and see if the noise goes down a bit. I guess its possible to have some type of buildup making the plug not seal right. I'll give it a shot this weekend. Maybe I could even try and put a towel around the seal points in the exhaust and see if it muffles the sound. Who knows, maybe the header hit something and is not true anymore. Such a nice looking car and just sounds so horrible.

Quick Reply: Still ticking away - really could use some help