PSE stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:14 AM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Default PSE stuck

Hi

my mechanic who removed the exhaust says the PSE actuator is stuck (not surprising, it's probably been unused since new in '02). is there a way I can disconnect it, lubricate it? in which position is the valve open? it is now sitting against the end position, i.e. extended. Anyone tried to renovate it?

TIA
Mike
Old 11-13-2011, 12:37 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

was the electronics ever connected? or was it always left open (loud mode).... the actuator works under vacuum.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:41 AM
Black_on_black
Instructor

The electronics were disconnected when I got it six months ago. I know they work under vacuum, which is why I think when extended it is in loud mode?

Anyway, they're not budging under reasonable force compressing the actuator by hand, but maybe that's normal?
Old 11-13-2011, 06:25 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

That's the problem with PSE. Many disconnect the controls and the valves seizes since its hasn't been open/close for awhile...... The valve is what makes the exhaust so expensive.... Yet people don't use it. I would soak the valve in break free for awhile till it moves. It doesn't take much effort to stroke the valve but requires a lot of air to move it.... That is why a vacuum tank is used to stroke the valve.

I make sure that I stroke the valve every once I awhile..... You know the saying, you don't use it, you lose it.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:39 PM
tarzancoe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If eventually you need a new valve, I can get them. In Germany. But, you should not need a new one if you clean it.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Hmmm, a few months ago when I had my engine swapped for an X51, my tech said the same thing about on side of the PSE. Mine was factory installed and never deactivated and still had the speed sensor that would quiet it between 50 and 70 km/h, so no reason to seize as it should have been moving every time I drove the car. A few options were discussed and I just decided to leave it alone. Well, it seems to have gotten itself unstuck on its own pretty quickly. It works perfectly.
I think that it requires a tremendous amount of pressure to activate so it often feels jammed when you're trying to move it by hand. Just my $.02
Old 11-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

thanks guys. next time I go to the shop where they're working on it I'll take a closer look, separate valve from actuator and see what's moves and what doesn't. Should I be able to contract the actuator against its internal spring by hand?

Quick Reply: PSE stuck