996 Carrera >> 996 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 05:27 PM
eunsulover
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Carrera >> 996 Turbo?

Hello,

I just drove 2002 Carrera and 2001 Turbo back to back.

I don't know how to describe this. However, I actually enjoyed driving the regular Carrera much more. Sure, the Turbo was much faster (noticeably), but less exciting - it just was not as precise or visceral. Could it be that the Turbo I drove was out of tune? It looked as if it was in great condition at least from outside.

I have been focusing my search solely on the Turbo especially given its build quality, acceleration and etc. over the Carrera. However, I don't know any more. The price differential between the two is about $10k which is much narrower than when they were new.

Am I the only person who feels this way? Has anyone gone from the Turbo to the Carrera? Perhaps, I should drive a different Turbo?

Would appreciate any input.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't driven a turbo(yet) either, but if I were you I'd suggest driving another one just to be sure. I do love driving my C2 though and can tell you that owning one has been great, and driving one even better. You might also post on the turbo forum to get some feedback.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:47 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2wd vs 4wd?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

I have a friend who has a 2003 turbo who says the same thing. The turbo is much faster than my C4S, but it sounds a little muted compared to the n/a C4S and the power delivery in the C4S is more linear.

I think it's a matter of personal preference.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I experienced the same thing. I test drove several turbos, including an X50. They are brutally fast, but on my favorite winding road, my 99 C2 is my vehicle of choice. I attribute it to over 400 lbs less weight, 2 wheel drive with LSD, and numerous suspension and engine modifications. I'm sure a modified turbo would be a different story.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by eunsulover
Hello,

I just drove 2002 Carrera and 2001 Turbo back to back.

I don't know how to describe this. However, I actually enjoyed driving the regular Carrera much more. Sure, the Turbo was much faster (noticeably), but less exciting - it just was not as precise or visceral. Could it be that the Turbo I drove was out of tune? It looked as if it was in great condition at least from outside.

I have been focusing my search solely on the Turbo especially given its build quality, acceleration and etc. over the Carrera. However, I don't know any more. The price differential between the two is about $10k which is much narrower than when they were new.

Am I the only person who feels this way? Has anyone gone from the Turbo to the Carrera? Perhaps, I should drive a different Turbo?

Would appreciate any input.
Different strokes for different folks.

Generally a NA car is a bit more pleasureable to drive in most cases simply because the NA engine is more tractable where the engine spends its time, at lower rpms. The majority of engines spend their lifetime at 30% throttle or less.

The NA engine has a higher compression ratio (11.3:1) than the Turbo (9.4:1 IIRC) and a high compression engine is just a more tractable and responsive engine.

I note the difference when I switch from my 2.7l Boxster to my Turbo and back again.

The Turbo though once underway -- and it is not horrible even off idle -- and with some rpms is an effortless car to drive, a fine passer and a fine GT car.

In the Turbo, if I want to speed up a bit just a dip of my right foot. With the Boxster while it is not a pig requires that I allow more room, start earlier, and sometimes even downshift (5-speed) to get harder acceleration to effect a pass.

On the open road the Turbo is simply a very fine GT. It can cover hundreds of miles per day with no effort.

And when can unleash the Turbo's 420 horses... OMG.

As for the Turbo's extra weight, and AWD... If you feel these are a negative, who am I to argue?

Really, all you can do is drive good examples of both the Carrera and Turbo, and make up your mind.

Sincerely.

Macster.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:41 AM
eunsulover
Instructor

Thank you for your inputs on this. Makes a lot of sense.

I will keep test driving two cars and pick one that fits best with my lifestyle (and driving style).
Old 10-28-2011, 09:04 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If you drive one that has done the exhaust, the sounds will be sublime. Further, if it has the factory sport suspension X73 or and aftermarket setup like the PSS9, etc, you will think differently. I own both and there is no comparison between the 996 Carrera and the 996 Turbo. The Turbo is a better car in every way.

I will say the exhaust note in the Turbo sucks if you have the stock exhaust. You'll wonder if the car is a Prius it's so quiet.

The car is AWD not 4WD. The AWD drive system is 5/95 until more is needed and it's not noticeable until you have to have it.

The one thing the Carrera has on the Turbo is the loss of 400-500 pounds. But it in now way detracts from the driving experience.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:18 PM
eunsulover
Instructor

Originally Posted by LVDell
If you drive one that has done the exhaust, the sounds will be sublime. Further, if it has the factory sport suspension X73 or and aftermarket setup like the PSS9, etc, you will think differently. I own both and there is no comparison between the 996 Carrera and the 996 Turbo. The Turbo is a better car in every way.

I will say the exhaust note in the Turbo sucks if you have the stock exhaust. You'll wonder if the car is a Prius it's so quiet.

The car is AWD not 4WD. The AWD drive system is 5/95 until more is needed and it's not noticeable until you have to have it.

The one thing the Carrera has on the Turbo is the loss of 400-500 pounds. But it in now way detracts from the driving experience.
Thank you. Your comments are very insightful. Would the X73 option show up and listed on the sticker under the hood? Was it available for both the turbo and the Carrera?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Very welcome. The X73 was Turbo and possibly the C4S. The X74 was for the Carrera line. They are very similar.

You would either see the option "X73" or "X74" listed on the option sticker or the invoice showing purchase and install. Mine was added after the fact so it is not on the option sticker but I have the invoice from the dealer indicating the part number and the install. That way it is warrantied by PCNA.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:05 PM
eunsulover
Instructor

Got it. Thanks so much.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:22 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

I have both in the 993 variant and I'd agree.

Quick Reply: 996 Carrera >> 996 Turbo?