Sponsored by:

o2 sensors advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:53 PM
tbanasiak
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default o2 sensors advice needed

I want to replace the O2 sensors, all 4. No CELs but no history of PO having had them done. I do have all service records dating back to initial purchase and all from same dealership. I doubt he would have done this himself because he took the car in for every little thing. Anyways my concern is not the cost of them but what is the "real" difference in using either:
1. Bosch wideband A/F sensor
2. Bosch premium sensor
3. Bosch premium with OE smartlink

I know the first 2 come with the connector already attached and the smartlink needs to be wired up. Is there really any gain in 1 over another?

just turned 115348 miles on odometer. Thanks in advance!

Tim
Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by tbanasiak
I want to replace the O2 sensors, all 4. No CELs but no history of PO having had them done. I do have all service records dating back to initial purchase and all from same dealership. I doubt he would have done this himself because he took the car in for every little thing. Anyways my concern is not the cost of them but what is the "real" difference in using either:
1. Bosch wideband A/F sensor
2. Bosch premium sensor
3. Bosch premium with OE smartlink

I know the first 2 come with the connector already attached and the smartlink needs to be wired up. Is there really any gain in 1 over another?

just turned 115348 miles on odometer. Thanks in advance!

Tim
Use the same sensors that are in the car already, assuming the sensors are the right ones, which I assume they are.

Unless the car was equipped with wideband sensors to begin with I seriously doubt they'll work. The narrow band sensors are 0 to 1 volt while the wide band sensors are 0 to 8 or 9 volts. Also, the OBD2 query to fetch the sensor data is different. Which means in a round about way that I do not believe the DME is smart enough to detect wide band sensors are present in place of the original narrow band sensors or vice versa. (Besides my info is only the 996 Turbo (do not know about the GT2/GT3 cars) comes with wideband sensors. The NA engines I believe come with narrow band sensors. But of course if they do use wide band sensors then use the wide band sensors.)

I've changed the (narrow band) O2 sensors in my Boxster a couple of times over the years. The sensors just wear out. I found the best ones are the stock ones. They come with the right connector and the right length of the wiring and of course are the same as the car came with. No odd ball sensors for my engines.

If you buy sensors without the connector you have to graft the new sensor to the wiring of the old connector. These should not be solder connections. The solder can affect the voltage signal from the sensor and mess up the readings enough to cause the DME some grief. Crimp type connectors can be used, but you want to use the kind that have some sealant in the crimp connector that when you squeeze the connector down to bind the wires together the sealant is released and it flows around and out and seals the connection against the elements. I found some nice connectors but I eventually scrapped the sensors that I had grafted to the old sensor connectors and just bought the right sensors from the dealer. I used my PCA membership to get a discount.

Handle the new sensors with care. Do not touch the tip. Avoid static discharge and do not attempt to check resistence, etc.

The sensors I bought from the dealer came with some kind of thread lube already on the threads. If you buy aftermarket sensors the threads may come dry. Up to you but if you want to use a thread lube be sure you use one that is O2 sensor safe. Use the wrong thread lube and it can (will) liquify from the heat and it doesn't take much on the sensor tip to affect the sensor's performance.

The old sensors were not hard to remove, unscrew, but I bought a crows foot wrench to avoid rounding the flats of the sensor off though.

Where I ran into difficultly was disconnecting the darn electrical connector. Those puppies require a lot of hand/finger strength which since I stopped working with my hands I've lost some of so it was a struggle to get the connector latch unlatched and then separate the sensor connector from the wiring harness.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:36 AM
tbanasiak
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Macster! found 2 Bosch part# 13564 (upstream) for $95.82 each and free shipping. Great deal compared to PP and other places. Waiting to hear if they can get the other 2 i need.

Tim

Quick Reply: o2 sensors advice needed