Sponsored by:

Auto Dolly

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 07:29 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Auto Dolly

Anybody using these Auto Dolly to store cars through winter?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRM-M998002/

I have a 2-car garage that really should be classified as 1-3/4 car garage when ease of door opening is factored in, this makes it a pain since both of my cars are 2-door coupes so I haven't parked my DD in the garage since getting the 996 and would like to do so as winter slowly approach.

I also plan to do a few things on the 996 throughout the winter months, so I thought using these Auto Dolly to manouver the car around within the garage without actually starting the car would be easier and safer to get one side of the 996 right up close to the wall when I'm not working on the car, bonus part is that each tire would have more contact surface to reduce flat spotting, although I will still pump up the tires to max inflation pressure rated on the tire and put a dense rubber tile between the tire and the dolly.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by aviography; 10-16-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:19 AM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aviography
Anybody using these Auto Dolly to store cars through winter?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRM-M998002/

I have a 2-car garage that really should be classified as 1-3/4 car garage when ease of door opening is factored in, this makes it a pain since both of my cars are 2-door coupes so I haven't parked my DD in the garage since getting the 996 and would like to do so as winter slowly approach.

I also plan to do a few things on the 996 throughout the winter months, so I thought using these Auto Dolly to manouver the car around within the garage without actually starting the car would be easier and safer to get one side of the 996 right up close to the wall when I'm not working on the car, bonus part is that each tire would have more contact surface to reduce flat spotting, although I will still pupm up the tire to max inflation pressure rated on the tire and put a dense rubber tile between the tire and the dolly.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
I bought some cheaper ones a while back and it is not easy to move my 944T. My suggestions is that you spring for better made ones that have better wheels making it easier to move the car. Try Go Jacks. They work very nice!
Old 10-16-2011, 01:08 PM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have looked around as well and just ordered 4 of these with the upgraded casters. I am storing 2 cars in a small garage and my existing dollies do not roll easily even with grease.

http://www.car-dolly.com/catalog
Old 10-16-2011, 02:17 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by jdog
I bought some cheaper ones a while back and it is not easy to move my 944T. My suggestions is that you spring for better made ones that have better wheels making it easier to move the car. Try Go Jacks. They work very nice!
Originally Posted by hpuck
Hi,

I have looked around as well and just ordered 4 of these with the upgraded casters. I am storing 2 cars in a small garage and my existing dollies do not roll easily even with grease.

http://www.car-dolly.com/catalog
Thanks guys, I was having second thoughts as well and upgraded to the heavier duty castors this morning, i.e. their 10,000 lbs vs. the 6,000 lbs version I had ordered late last night.

The car-dolly.com units have locks on the casters, that's a feature not available on the Merrick version, I will have to make sure to chock a couple of the castors..........
Old 10-16-2011, 06:14 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

what would be cool now is a similar system that works when the wheels are out of the car, I mean something that would mount on the jack point so that you can move the car when you work on the engine or suspensions.

I see how it would be hard to get a sturdy mounting point, but still that would be a cool product.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:19 PM
aviography
Drifting

Ah but they do! See http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU

Although this requires the suspension to still be in place.

Come to think of it, it really won't take too much to have a top hat shape sheet metal bent up with a pip in the right location to align with the holes in the jacking points of the car and then fasten it to the Auto Dolly, in fact Merrick has other devices that mount to the base Auto Dolly just like the above Roll-Around item does, so what you are describing is completely within the realm of being possible, in fact it wouldn't be hard at all!

EDIT: The problem is going to be the logistic i.e. how do you easily put anything under the jacking points when you are using the jacking points to jack up the car? I suppose it's do-able:

1. Jack up one side of car with rear jack point
2. Put a jack stand or the Auto Dolly with adaptor under the front jack point
3. Put jack stand under rear suspension cross member
4. Remove floor jack from rear jack point
5. Repeat 1-4 for the other side
6. Jack up rear suspension cross member from the center to remove the two rear jack starnds
7. Put Auto Dolly with adaptor under two rear jack points
8. Lower floor jack
9. Have a cold beer

Last edited by aviography; 10-16-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:21 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

just found this:
http://shop.jackpointjackstands.com/...inish-JPSB.htm

and this on top

and they allow to jack the car with the hydraulic jack and then add the jack at the same point..interesting

Last edited by philooo; 10-16-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:55 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

Sorry - but this dolly is only intended for moving the stands around the garage, not for moving the car. you can read more here

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ackstands.html
Old 10-16-2011, 08:58 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You think your garage is small?

Last edited by porsche-t; 10-29-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:29 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by porsche-t
You think your garage is small?
No, your garage is not small, it's your toy-count that's too large.

I expect that is probably what I will have for room if I can get the Porsche up against the wall as you have.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
No, your garage is not small, it's your toy-count that's too large.
All of it used to fit in my detached garage in California .
Old 10-28-2011, 11:43 PM
aviography
Drifting

I picked up the Auto Dolly today, tried it out and have mixed feelings.

The front end can be moved relatively easily, however the heavier back end is still a bear to move, worse yet is that the very slightest slope in my garage is causing the car to slide slightly backwards towards the driveway as I move the car sideways towards the wall and there's no way I could push the 3,000 lb car forward against the slope by myself, this means I will have to figure out a way to somehow anchor the car so that it can only go sideways without sliding towards the driveway, may have to use the rear tow bolt and tie it down somewhere in the garage to prevent the unintended movement .......

Or just do the old fashion way of extreme parallel parking.

Quick Reply: Auto Dolly