Sponsored by:

Can a bad MAF cause a misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 06:41 PM
gixxe638
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
I like this theory as well. I just had my cat broken street driving 35k miles. The cat is fine functionally (the inserts look prestine and not melted) except the element inside has broken off fmo teh canister banging on the postcat sensor creating a horrible rattling noise. Just curious if your cat element failed the same way or physical it's fine just that it's not cleaning up the exhaust. Either case, one should be able to tell by comparing the postcat sensor readings of the two banks.
i ordered the durametric cable today 2nd day air that should help. Yes my cats are ratteling also at 33000 miles they have been like that for two seasons on the track. No cel but before the rattle i was using the gas from the track the high octane i always felt like the gas made the cats go bad do you think there is any truth to that.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxe638
i ordered the durametric cable today 2nd day air that should help. Yes my cats are ratteling also at 33000 miles they have been like that for two seasons on the track. No cel but before the rattle i was using the gas from the track the high octane i always felt like the gas made the cats go bad do you think there is any truth to that.
I think the stock cats are crap shots. Some last a long time, some not so much even for street usage. I'm pretty sure track driving is not helping with all the WOT fuel buring the cats.

If your cats ae rattling, it's very possible they've melted inside (by the high heat) and blocking the exhaust. Of cource that would create misfires at high rev. Once you take off the cats, you can take a peek inside from the header end and from the postcat O2 sensor hole to see HOW it fails inside.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:00 PM
gixxe638
Track Day

i took the cats off cut them open they are clogged i will post a pic soon. thanks for all the help
Old 04-25-2014, 08:22 PM
gixxe638
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ahsai
I think the stock cats are crap shots. Some last a long time, some not so much even for street usage. I'm pretty sure track driving is not helping with all the WOT fuel buring the cats.

If your cats ae rattling, it's very possible they've melted inside (by the high heat) and blocking the exhaust. Of cource that would create misfires at high rev. Once you take off the cats, you can take a peek inside from the header end and from the postcat O2 sensor hole to see HOW it fails inside.
not good
Attached Images   
Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Oh yea, pretty clogged, especially the left one. The bigger one is the one closer to the header? Are they from bank2?
Old 04-25-2014, 11:39 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Now you can go sell the precious metals to a recycler and make a little cash on the side.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:11 PM
gixxe638
Track Day

After cutting them both open they were about the same but the one that was giving me a misfire was broke lose inside and ratteling i think the inside was moving so much that it was acting like a cork. The one with no codes was still in place and had to be broke out. So i welded them back together empty put them back on and the car is faster than ever. THANKS
Attached Images   
Old 04-28-2014, 12:35 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxe638
After cutting them both open they were about the same but the one that was giving me a misfire was broke lose inside and ratteling i think the inside was moving so much that it was acting like a cork. The one with no codes was still in place and had to be broke out. So i welded them back together empty put them back on and the car is faster than ever. THANKS
Woo hoo...Success!
Old 04-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Good catch. A plugged converter is a rather rare problem. Takes some guts to cut one apart. I wonder why the #2 O2 sensor on that side was not giving a reading that would have flagged a problem with the converter?

Quick Reply: Can a bad MAF cause a misfire?